Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yee olde fixed gear conversion.

Options
  • 15-01-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

What's the dealy with converting an old road frame (126mm rear spacing) to run a fixed gear?
    I was under the impression that track hubs are narrower spacing than road hubs? Is it possible to fit one on a road frame? Or are those flip flop hubs closer to road spacing?
    Also, can anyone reccommend a good place to buy flip flop or track hubs? Preferably at a reasonable price, below 50euro if possible.

Muchos Gracias.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Normal track hubs have a 120mm spacing so if the axle was long enough you could add some spacers ie 3mm each side to fill the gap. It's possible to get hubs in the spacing you need - Halo I think do a 126mm version and are reasonably cheap. Royce do them too but are very expensive. Shouldn't be too much of a problem getting yourself sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Planet X have a sale and have some 32h 120mm rear hubs for 19 euro:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HUPXPITR/planet-x-pista-track-hub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Thanks for that guys. I'll be looking into the planet X hubs, seems very cheap, hopefully not too cheap.

Advertisement