Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT Return of Trading

Options
  • 15-01-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

My first year of business as a sole trader is up and I have received the Return of Trading Details form.

I have all the records I need, but not sure of a couple of things. I'm too busy working away from home (fortunately, for a couple of weeks anyway) to pop in to my accountant as he asked me to do but need to have it returned mid week. :( Perhaps someone wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions if you have the time...?

Most of my expenses have been fuel and motor related. I intended to add up the net cost of all my genuine expenses in the relevant (13.5% and 20%) boxes in the last column for deductibles. However, not all my expenses appear to have VAT included, or perhaps they are exempt or 0-rated? I'm not sure if I should even include these on the form if I have NOT paid VAT on them, or will this clash with my total expenses claimed later in my Annual tax returns? :confused:

I have listed the non-VAT expenses below in the hope that there's a straight answer(s)!
    • Motor Insurance (Direct Debit monthly payments)
    • Bank charges
    • Interest on loan repayments (a small amount calculated as an average each month)
    • Membership fees (professional institute)

Thanks in advance,

Advertisement