Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Night Bird Singing

Options
  • 15-01-2011 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

I'm very into nature and am slowly but surely turning into a birdman, particularly crows but that's another story...New to this section so forgive me if this is a ridiculous question but i have to ask....

Last night i was leaving a friends house, in Dublin, at about 1am, and when I walked out to the car I could hear multiple birds whistling and singing away. Shouldn't they be asleep?

Again, tonight I am just home after leaving another friends house in a completely different location and I heard birds (not as many as last night) chirping again. Tonight it was near 2.45am.

Why aren't they asleep?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

From what gather it's the street lighting that confuses them into thinking it's the sun rising. I could be wrong but from what i have read it seems to be the general opinion.
    We had relatives visit us recently who live in a fairly isolated area in the countryside. When they were leaving that night they couldn't believe the bird singing outside my
    house at 11.30 at night. We have a street light outside ours so it's possibly the cause, it's a robin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

cheers.

I did a bit of netsearching myself but to no avail. your theory would seem like the most likely of answers though as both times I encountered it, it was in lit housing estates.

they must too also suffer from a midday slump like ourselves then. I might leave some red bull out for them, in case they're in need of extra wings.

don't hate me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is a very common phenomenon and as said, due to the lighting in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Same thing happened me the other night/am walking home from the pub at 2am.

Wake up to the sound of singing, blackbird on the tree outside.
    Does she know the joy she's bringing. To this aching heart of mine

I wasn't on fire

Advertisement