Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Education in Maynooth

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Is there anybody on here that has done/is doing/knows someone who's doing the Science Education course in NUIM? I'm planning on applying for it next year and was wondering if people can tell me what they know?

Like how many students in a year?
    And whether it's a good course in general?

Everything you know will help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chocolate_Bar

Im living with a lad who's doing it he's just in 1st year, y'do all science subjects in first year, like those doing general science and then you take 2 science subjects and education modules for the next three years after that, so its 4 years and then you can go straight into teaching science/maths in secondary school depending on what subjects you pick eg. maths and physics or chemistry and biology or whatever.
    Think theres bout 40 or so in the class, dont quote me on that though, but ye'll be in with everyone else doing the subject in the lectures. Like, there'll be bout 300 in some maths lectures. But it'll be just yer class in the education lectures then id reckon cause there's no other education courses in the college apart from the ones doing the hdip.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 twainthief

I do it! I'm a first year :P

Emmm, let's see... there's 32 of us, if I remember correctly. We all do Maths/Physics/Chemistry/Biology, and then we have one hour of "education" per week. In first year it's just us doing little assignments, getting to know each other, making presentations to get better at public speaking, learning a bit about lesson plans, etc. At the very end of first year, we have to do a primary school placement, for one week, so at the moment we're preparing for that.

You'll be in lectures with everyone else who does science, so ya get to know the general science-ers as well. It's only "just us" for Education, and the "science ed" nights out we have. At the beginning of second year, you have to choose two subjects from Maths/Physics/Chem/Bio to keep on, and these will be the subjects you teach at Leaving Cert higher level. (although no matter WHAT subjects you choose, you're gonna have to teach both maths and science at Junior Cert level. but ya wouldnt need to be a maths genius to teach the Junior Cert course, i know loads of people who are crap at maths, do science ed and have no problem teaching it at junior level.)

starting in september of 2nd year, you get chucked into a secondary school which you have to teach at ONE day per week, although the first month or two you're just sitting in the classroom observing. since im only a first year, i havent done any of that, i just know it cause i live with 3rd year science eds).

overall, it's a BRILLIANT course. i love it, and i'm soooo glad i chose it. it's really fun and creative, and what with doing teaching practice every week for like... 2nd to 4th year, you'll be SO prepared for life as a teacher, and you'll have like a million lesson plans done already, which you can obviously re-use.

everyone is supportive of each other, its great. oh, and if you realise that teaching isn't for you, there's an "opt out of science ed" you can do. my friend decided at the end of 2nd year that she didnt wanna be a teacher after all, so she just started 3rd year as a General Science-er, all her grades carried over!

i can't really think of any bad things! errr... it's a fair bit of work!! like, don't expect first year to be a total doss. there's ALWAYS assignments and write ups and tutorials and labs to be working on! but yeah, tons of support and it's great.

emmm, okay, i think thats enough! :P if you've any questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

thanks to both of ye :D

very helpful :D

one question i would like to ask is how many hours roughly per week? and how many of them are lectures or labs or whatever?

and coming from tralee i'd be on my own... is it easy to get to know people in Maynooth?

thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

brian93 wrote: »
    and coming from tralee i'd be on my own... is it easy to get to know people in Maynooth?

i can't answer the other stuff cuz I don't do Science, but I can answer this¬ :pac: I was in the same situation as you when I came to Maynooth - coming from Sligo, didn't know a single person in the college. But it is really easy to meet people. Remember the vast majority of people in first year will be in the same boat as you, so just chat away to everyone! Joining clubs and societies is a great way to meet people as well, and if you join something you enjoy you'll end up having loads of fun too.

ummmm, let's see.. how many hours per week..

3 x maths lectures
    3 x chemistry lectures
    3 x biology lectures
    3 x physics lectures
    1 hour physics tutorial
    1 hour chemistry tutorial
    2 hour chemistry lab
    2 hour physics lab
    3 hour biology lab
    1 hour maths tutorial
    1 x education tutorial

so eh.. that many! theres also some "optional" stuff you can go to if you're finding the material difficult, so add on a couple of hours if you do those.

so, you're looking at 23+!

it's REALLY easy to meet people when you start first year, seriously. especially if ya live up here. and the first couple of days are hilarious because everyone is desperately trying to make friends and meet people and not be alone.. you'll definitely be grand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

I don't study science education, so I can't help you much there.
    BUT...

I came here from Tralee back in the day, not knowing anyone, or having even seen the college before. You get to know people pretty fast, as there's going to be loads of other people in the same boat as you. I strongly suggest getting involved in extra curricular activities- it'll help you get to know people and if you don't fancy the 10 hours on public transport every weekend (or about 7 if you can drive), it's a great way to get to know others who hang around on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bobafro

brian93 wrote: »
    Is there anybody on here that has done/is doing/knows someone who's doing the Science Education course in NUIM? I'm planning on applying for it next year and was wondering if people can tell me what they know?

Like how many students in a year?
    And whether it's a good course in general?

Everything you know will help

IMO probably the best denominated course to be introduced at NUIM

Small classes, friendly people. It is a lot of work but if teaching is something that you are interested then i would definitely advise doing this course. The HDip in education is going to be increased to a 2 year course and currently the tuition for it is more than 6000 euro.
    So with science education you would have your full teaching qualification in 4 years and save yourself upwards of 10grand.... not to mention how competitive it is to get into the teaching diploma (a 1.1 in an hons degree wouldn't guarantee a place).

One downside is that there is no choice in what subjects you can do in first year so you will end up taking 3 lab subjects which will mean a very busy week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Was looking into the science ed course aswell, and was wondering what it's like to do chemistry in 1st year if you've only done it up to JC??..
    I do biology and physics now in leavin cert but abit worried about the physics part!

no need to worry about chemistry at all, seriously.

we started off from the absolute basics... first few lectures are all what is an atom/what is an element/what is matter/how do you look at the periodic table, etc.

i'd say about 40% ish of people haven't done it before, so they just assume we know nothing and build from scratch. :)

rstax wrote: »
    Was looking into the science ed course aswell, and was wondering what it's like to do chemistry in 1st year if you've only done it up to JC??..
    I do biology and physics now in leavin cert but abit worried about the physics part!

Everything is taught from scratch, it's assumed nobody has any background in the subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Seems like a great course, thats good to know they start from scratch. Doing only one science subject for leaving cert myself so hopefully i won't be too lost taking up another subject! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MrFancypants56

Hi just wondering who got in to this course today??

I got in! :) DELIGHTED!! =D

Welcome to Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Well Fancy Pants! :p Looks like we'll be Science Ed buddies in 3 weeks time :D Congrats dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

Hey guys! really considering doing this course next year. Sat my leaving cert last year and did Biology and Higher Maths. Would i find it really tough trying to pick Physics and Chemistry up??

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

What level of maths would you guys recommend if I wanted to apply for Science Ed.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Ordinary level will do for first year

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Ordinary level Maths is fine, but there's plenty of extra supports there to help you with the Maths too should you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

^ That too. Maths Support Center is invaluable. And it's free. Use it if you get into Maynooth.

Advertisement