Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law books?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Are the cost of law books needed seriously expensive? Could anybody give me a ballpark figure :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 katiewobbles

It really depends on the subject. Some very specific topics that only apply to Ireland could get very expensive, because there is less of a market, but, say, EU law books that could be sold abroad, you get more for your money.
    Anywhere between 40-80 is standard, I think, but you get some much more expensive for hardbacks and that.
    Don't forget you can buy them second hand at John Smiths.

As a student who bought law books, and now has to get rid of them, unless you know you will continue a subject for years after, your best bet is just using the library copies. They usually have several copies of the most important books anyway. I was glad to have bought books because I could just reference whenever and not worry about loans or making it over to the library, but when they are right there, there isn't really a need per se.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

Thanks a million, the cost thing was a sudden shock but with that advice i should be all right, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Id actually say more like 100-150! In my experience anyway! When you come across a book for 50-70 it seems like a bargain compared to the rest! I would recommend getting your own if you can afford it because come study month the books wont be seen for dust! Of course this is only a prob if youre a last minute person like myself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

Yup, €100-€150 is closer to the (horribly) truth (I'm a final year law student).

Alternatives/supplements:

a) Nutshell series (really good before exams; Liam Russels; short digests; €20-30 appx)

b) Printing furiously from Blackboard...

c) Failing!

Seriously though it's pretty outrageous. I read the book as little as possible because they tend to be written in very abstruse language. Read plenty of case law, academic articles, keep up to date with what's happening in the Courts, and you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Between a 100 and 150

• Advertisement
Advertisement