Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pioneer DDJ-S1

Options
  • 14-01-2011 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

]Pioneer are due to release a new midi controler to compete with others the unit itself looks like the present CDJ 350's + DJM 350

DDJ-S1.jpg

Im really considering moving to totally digital and this has nudged me further towards the digital side , currently im using 3 X CDJ 400s + American DJ DSP Mx 1400 i love them do all that i need but i work as a mobile + Club dj and the less i have to haul around the better

the release price is around the €1000 - €1100 range

Here is a video of the new midi unit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCzau2mU1s&feature=related

Is the move wise I dont 100% trust Laptops during a gig with stalling , viruses ect ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It's a very nice looking bit of kit definitely, I wouldn't buy it straight away though I'd wait for reviews to come through and wait for any potential problems to be discovered.

Ye I don't like completely relying on one system, especially a computer. If it overheats and crashes you're extremely ****ed but since you do have experience with CDJs just bring a memory stick or 2 along filled with songs you know well which suit the set your playing and you'll have a good backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

i'd wait until after NAMM until you make any decicions,

Numark brought out the NS6 a day of 2 ago and it looks to piss all over the pioneer kit.

numarkNS6-460-100-460-70.jpg

Even Gemini's new controller looks less like a lump of plastic.

ctrl47_small.jpg

Native instruments S4

0_6b1bc86e59.png\

And Denon MC6000

DNMC6000_8_s.jpg

American Audio VMS4

vms4.jpg

The Denon and Numark and AA are the only ones that feature the mixer as standalone, which I think is essential so plug in your mp3 player or cd player for redundancy if your laptop crashes.

Looks like the year of the controller is upon us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

I have gone with the Native instruments S4 looks to be a top bit of kit cant wait to get to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

As a long time pioneer user I have to say I'm very interested in this. I have stayed away from the digital route so far as I use a laptop all week in work and have no desire to see a keyboard or mouse when I'm DJing, this gear takes away that barrier. In a way its like using a set of CDJs with a massive, albeit shared, screen. It's laid out the same way as the existing CDJs and DJMs so anyone used to using them could jump straight in and use the controller.

Time to go check out the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

djdeclan wrote: »
    As a long time pioneer user I have to say I'm very interested in this. I have stayed away from the digital route so far as I use a laptop all week in work and have no desire to see a keyboard or mouse when I'm DJing, this gear takes away that barrier. In a way its like using a set of CDJs with a massive, albeit shared, screen. It's laid out the same way as the existing CDJs and DJMs so anyone used to using them could jump straight in and use the controller.

Time to go check out the price!

Same as iv been using CDJ for years but the price is mad compaired to the s4 which is a 10 times better controller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the buttons on the s4 are very clustered together imo.
    tbh if i was in the market for a new all in one controller it would be the ddj-t1 before the s4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I was going to buy this and even went to put a deposit on one, until I realized the price. Its just too expensive for a controller. Having watched a few videos, it looks great but realistically its the exact same as an Xponent or just about any other controller thats gone before. Granted it has a few perks, but no where near enough for me to spend that sort of cash. You'd be passing by the Xone range and the S4 to buy this. To me it would be like buying a Ferrari when a second hand Audi would do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

ironclaw wrote: »
    You'd be passing by the Xone range and the S4 to buy this. To me it would be like buying a Ferrari when a second hand Audi would do the same job.

Ye but the bitches love Ferraris. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

RMD wrote: »
    Ye I don't like completely relying on one system, especially a computer. If it overheats and crashes you're extremely ****ed but since you do have experience with CDJs just bring a memory stick or 2 along filled with songs you know well which suit the set your playing and you'll have a good backup.

I've never had a full system meltdown from the laptop in over 3 years now (mixers and speakers, yes, not the laptop). Worst that's happened is I've had to uninstall and re-install mixing software once. Fortunately, it was early into a mobile gig so it was only background music at that stage and I could work away while nobody noticed.

I've got a bunch of plan B's if it ever does. Pre-recorded mixes on both iTunes and the iPhone etc. Alternative mixing software installed if need be. It's not something that you really need to worry about and the advantages FAR outweigh the low risks.

Yeah I think I'm going to upgrade to an S4 as well when I can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Numb.Muzik wrote: »
    ]Pioneer are due to release a new midi controler to compete with others the unit itself looks like the present CDJ 350's + DJM 350

DDJ-S1.jpg

Im really considering moving to totally digital and this has nudged me further towards the digital side , currently im using 3 X CDJ 400s + American DJ DSP Mx 1400 i love them do all that i need but i work as a mobile + Club dj and the less i have to haul around the better

the release price is around the €1000 - €1100 range

Here is a video of the new midi unit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCzau2mU1s&feature=related

Is the move wise I dont 100% trust Laptops during a gig with stalling , viruses ect ?

I got to play with the DDJ-T1 today, which is basically this, but with 4 channels instead of 2. Its very nice. very easy to use. Wanna bring it for a proper test drive before giving it a final say. But so far so good.

CONS: First thing i noticed is no eq for Microphone, unlike the Denon DN-MC-6000, which i haven't seen face to face but have watched online and been told by someone who uses it, that its lovely to work with, however staying with the pioneer, no eq there. Other faults i've noticed to date include.....well.....em......nothing. absolutely nothing, although i was only playing for a little while.

PROs:When i woke up this morning, i was in 2 minds about going digital. I currently use pioneer cmx 3000+mixer in big flight case, but its so bulky and awkward to carry up a flight of stairs for a 21st, and back down again through a crowd of drunken yobo's and is becoming a pain in the neck!!!! The DDJ-T1 is light-weight, yet well built and feels sturdy. There's nothing ya cant do on it, that ya can do on CD's. Also, i find that its much bigger and wider than the likes of the Denon, which gives ya that much more space and comfort to work with. Looking at the Denon, everything is on top of each other, its nice to have that extra room.

People stumbled over to CDJ's from Vinyl, i think they'll do the same to move from CD's to Digital, especially if controllers like this keep being produced. It just makes sense. Will tell ya's more when i get a proper look at it, but so far i'd go 8 out 10 with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

The thing is your not just buying hardware, your paying for the software too. I've been DJing with Itch on an NS7 for nearly two years now and I've never had a problem. I bought MacBook Pro when buying the NS7 so I wouldn't have any trouble. & I have never had any trouble with it at gigs messing up. Mind you version 1.7 is a bit dodgy so I still use 1.5 for gigs an it's grand.

Unlike in the past Numark are considered one of the best for making MIDI controllers for DJs. They really do have the sturdiest and best made controllers for Itch and this is well known among Itch users. Pioneer are behind are far as MIDI controllers go. Numark are king here.

As for the chap saying there is no equaliser for the mic.. Is that not a 3 band equaliser right beside the mic input? Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it is?

Bottom line, as long as you have a good laptop (macbook pro) you'll find Itch great to DJ with. Advances in DJ software and performance has really come along in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

derrylahan wrote: »

Unlike in the past Numark are considered one of the best for making MIDI controllers for DJs. They really do have the sturdiest and best made controllers for Itch and this is well known among Itch users. Pioneer are behind are far as MIDI controllers go. Numark are king here.

+1. All their players I've seen have been muck, but even my cheap as chips controller is sturdy as a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

derrylahan wrote: »
    Is that not a 3 band equaliser right beside the mic input? Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it is?

Mite be one on the s1, but the T1 which i was referring to doesn't have one. Mic input is on the front, and the only controls you have is volume unfortunately, not the end of the world by any means YET, will have to wait and see what its like when its in full swing at a gig and i'm bet into some corner with speakers on top of me and very little control over the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

So glad this thread came up. I have been looking at my whole set up (1200s and cdj 1000s) and seeing about starting with the digital thing. I looked at the S4 but am not convinced yet althoug I heard that later this year it will run the full traktor software and not the lighter LE version. The pioneer looks nice and I have watched the videos and generally have a lot of faith in them because of their cdjs. Still haven't made firm decisions yet. I suppose the main thing is that I want a safe reliable not going to steal my credit card details website to start buying the music first.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

For those of you thinking of getting into digital DJing check out this site... http://www.digitaldjtips.com
    It has a guides on which controllers to buy, reviews, articles and more aimed at digital djs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I looked at the S4 but am not convinced yet althoug I heard that later this year it will run the full traktor software and not the lighter LE version

It Doesn't come with a lite version of Traktor, actually comes bundled with a more advance version of Traktor than the current 1.2 Pro, and 2.0 will be given to owners free when its released in April :)

Beatport, Juno, itunes ... plenty of sites out to buy music there depending what your into playing.

The T1 looks pretty slick but think i'd be going with the NS6 whenever it gets released as its got a standalone mixer for emergencys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thinking of getting a VMS4 to use one night a week in a gig i'll be doing and keeping my Pioneer decks for mobile work.

I have heard that there was a problem with mic outputs at launch but am wondering if thats still go on or has it been sorted. I know they'll send you out something to fix it but i'd rather not have to touch the unit.

Mic is important for this gig so i want to know either way before i purchase.

Advertisement