Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathdowney Outlet Centre - still open?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

hi,

Is the outlet centre still open in Rathdowney, or is it really still just the big Dunnes and that's about it?

What other shops are currently open & have stock in them?!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I was out there about two months ago. Very depressing place with lots of empty units. There was a cheap home goods shop. A cheap clothes shop and a reebok shop. Oh and a shop with curtains bedclothes and the likes. That's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

And earphone warehouse and a shoe shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

That feckin place would put years on ye! Its about 6 months since I was there and it was awful then, can't be any better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was over in this place last weekend. Wow, talk about a microcosm of the collapse of the economy. I counted about 5 or 6 shops still open (1 of them actually closing down, The Outdoor shop).
    The car park and area looked very unkempt as well. How long before it closes completely? What is the point in paying overheads and lighting/heating an empty building. Such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Spotted a delivery heading over that way on Thursday - there's talk of Holland & Barrett opening in Portlaoise, that would surely mean them pulling outta Rathdowney too - was always a terrible idea anyway

• Advertisement

Spotted a delivery heading over that way on Thursday - there's talk of Holland & Barrett opening in Portlaoise, that would surely mean them pulling outta Rathdowney too - was always a terrible idea anyway

I doubt it will last much longer. I was there on a Saturday afternoon (you expect the busiest times) and there was hardly anybody about. That shop is on it's own now, all the shops around it are gone. Wonder did the place ever make any money?:confused:
    A few seemed to be in Dunnes but doubt that is doing too much either. There's not the population around to support it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It was ridiculous that Laois County Council granted plannig permission for this "outlet" centre in the first place.

I paid this place a visit a few years ago and I thought that it didn't have much of a future. It is shocking the amount of "retail parks" and other shopping developments that were thrown up during the property bubble and are empty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Well it is officially closing now. I'm not surprised, went there a year or two ago and it was desserted. Shame to see any jobs lost though.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/laois-shopping-centre-to-close-with-loss-of-six-jobs-544509.html

budhabob wrote: »
    Well it is officially closing now. I'm not surprised, went there a year or two ago and it was desserted. Shame to see any jobs lost though.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/laois-shopping-centre-to-close-with-loss-of-six-jobs-544509.html

Seriously not surprised by this. Kildare village was the final nail in the coffin really. Far better located in a more affluent and denser populated area right beside the motorway. Locating in Rathdowney was a mental decision. Even if it had been in Kilkenny or Portlaoise it would have stood some chance as they have populations locally to support it. The past 4 or 5 years in particular it has been dying a slow death.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Does anyone know if there will be a closing down sale??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

Would imagine they'll all sell everything off for half nothin with the exception of holland & barret & carphone warehouse who'll transfer the stock.

is dunnes closing down too???

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

Whats actually here now is it derelict?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,013 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Advertisement