Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thunderstorms today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lightniing up here in doengal knocked out the power, few times today

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Someone I work mentioned today he saw planes circling Cork airport today. He had heard there was an electrical storm in the area. I saw nothing. Anyone here confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I'd love a good thunderstorm tonight, unfortunately though, Waterford isn't the best place to live for any kind of exciting weather.:rolleyes:

Just take a look at the way the yellow line on that ESTOFEX map cuts around the SE, typical :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

lightniing up here in doengal knocked out the power, few times today

Haven't heard anything here today. What time did you get it at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Someone I work mentioned today he saw planes circling Cork airport today. He had heard there was an electrical storm in the area. I saw nothing. Anyone here confirm?

There were no reports of thunderstorms in the metars today, only the odd light shower, so they wouldn't have been circling for that. There must have been some other operational reason. I assume he means airliners and not just students doing circuits?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

We just missed out on a lot of action yesterday and overnight, but we could get something from the second bout currently west of 20W, as it pivots more eastwards than the first one today and tonight. The upper shortwave trough is forecast to fill though so sferics could also fizzle out before reaching us. Best chance is in the western half of the country.

143418.png

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Su Campu wrote: »
    There were no reports of thunderstorms in the metars today, only the odd light shower, so they wouldn't have been circling for that. There must have been some other operational reason. I assume he means airliners and not just students doing circuits?

Thanks Su. Yes airliners not the little cessinas. I did see the ground lads out on one runway letting off their firework display for the birds. Unless there were a lot of feathered friends in te area, And planes were waiting for the birds to get lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Thanks Su. Yes airliners not the little cessinas. I did see the ground lads out on one runway letting off their firework display for the birds. Unless there were a lot of feathered friends in te area, And planes were waiting for the birds to get lost.

Probably routine, the day before they had smoke coming from an aircraft and that caused a fuss, but heard nothing yesterday. Bird scaring is common.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Su Campu wrote: »
    We just missed out on a lot of action yesterday and overnight, but we could get something from the second bout currently west of 20W, as it pivots more eastwards than the first one today and tonight. The upper shortwave trough is forecast to fill though so sferics could also fizzle out before reaching us. Best chance is in the western half of the country.

143418.png

Wow, we sure did miss out on a fair lot of sparks. It would be interesting to see if the west gets a bit later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Harps wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything here today. What time did you get it at?

about 2pm and 5pm (14/01)

• Advertisement
Advertisement