Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matlab on Snow Leopard

Options
  • 14-01-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Anyone using here using Matlab on their macs? Got trial version to see if it's worth it, but it's impossibly slow!
    Or has anyone got it going on a VM? Or on windows w/ bootcamp?
    Really need to get it working properly soon, any tips would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

I've never used matlab on a mac but I have used it lots on Linux which might be similar. I found the GUI, which is java based, to be very slow and always started matlab from the command line using the -nojvm option. This should work on mac too. Open the terminal app and type "matlab -nojvm" ignoring the quotation marks. This will launch matlab without the GUI and switch the terminal to the matlab shell.

To edit m files I would used any text editor or maybe Xcode.

To run a m file you would need to navigate to the directory it's in from within the matlab shell and once there simply type the name of the m file and hit enter.

Let me know if this works!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Yeah, i've been doing that, it works grand for script and function m-files and such.
    It's handy having the gui though so you brows the current directory, the workspace, and plotting graphs etc.
    I do work with simulink aswell, so I kinda need tho whole whack if ya know what i mean.
    Haven't got around to tryin it with windows on the mac yet though, i'd say that's the best solution.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm using 2009 on snow leopard... it's OK, but only just. Simulink is dreadful because it uses the X11 UNIX GUI in addition to some native bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I'm using it on Snow Leopard also. It's not too bad to be fair. Not really any slower than the Windows copy I use at work.

Advertisement