Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English + Economics Arts Degree!?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Okay firstly, if I'm in the wrong category, sorry, graduate seems to be what I'm aiming at.

So I want to do secondary teaching. I was looking for an Arts degree where I could do 4 subjects in 1st year and keep 2 of them to do a degree in 2nd,3rd and 4th year (or three years, whatever suits.) Are there any courses matching this description that I could take both English and Economics to a degree? (as I want to teach English and Business)

If I've made any mistakes don't be afraid to correct me! :)
    Thanks in advance,
    13spanner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

I'm currently in my final year of studying English and Economics, in NUI Maynooth. Interestingly, i'm also planning on doing secondary teaching and have applied for the PGDE this year.

In Arts in NUIM you do 3 subjects for first year, then drop one and continue on with the other 2 for the remaining two years. English and Economics in NUIM are both recognised by the Teaching Council for recognition purposes as a secondary teacher, and taking Economics to degree level confers the ability to teach Business Studies at JC level.

As far as I know, you cannot study English and Economics together in Trinity college due to timetable restrictions (well you couldn't when I was applying), but in UCD it is possible.

Any other questions, let me know .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

and taking Economics to degree level confers the ability to teach Business Studies at JC level.

Are you sure? You'd want to see it in writing. I've read a lot of the paperwork and it generally says you're 100% qualified or not. This JC thing is a myth AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

dory wrote: »
    Are you sure? You'd want to see it in writing. I've read a lot of the paperwork and it generally says you're 100% qualified or not. This JC thing is a myth AFAIK.

Absolutely sure. Its stated explicity under the 'Economics' section of the TC's documentation about the necessary requirements to teach the different curriculum subjects - the "General and Special Requirements for Teachers of Recognised Subjects in Mainstream Post-Primary Education" explains this.

Advertisement