Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking at stuff on tv!!

Options
  • 13-01-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

When the pupster (who is 18 months now but I'll prob call him a puppy for years lol) was on crate rest we had one crate in the kitchen and one in the sitting room so he was with us and we could keep an eye on him etc While he was in the sitting room he became interested in TV and the once amusing act of barking at the odd dog on tv snowballed to him going mad and the crate wobbling when any dogs came on - other animals didn't bother him.. One morning snow dogs came on and he went mad - i covered his crate each time and told him he was bold and after doing that a few times he stopped and watched the movie(!) :pac: Peace at last we thought but he's taken up his fav passtime again (so I'll have to do some work with him) but has added more things he doesn't like now barks at :
    -dogs - he waits for the tv3 lab to pic up he grass number 3 before he gives out
    -horses
    -tigers
    -and the funniest for me is babies - especially the Evain rollerbabies!!!!! LOL :pac::pac:

What does everyone else's dog bark at on TV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two will bark at any dog, even a cartoon one (how do they know a cartoon dog from any other animal?), and cows, or goats, not cats or sheep, also horses, but not ones with riders. Very strange behavior.
    I have them at the point where they only bark once or twice or give a growl, its taken a while, mainly putting them out of the room for keeping it up. And lots of praise for stopping quick. One now woofs and comes over for his rub and praise, think I may have to change tactics.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

no way - ours barks at cartoon dogs too, feckin weirdo! He seems to have a particular problem with Gromit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

mymo wrote: »
    My two will bark at any dog, even a cartoon one (how do they know a cartoon dog from any other animal?), and cows, or goats, not cats or sheep, also horses, but not ones with riders. Very strange behavior.
    I have them at the point where they only bark once or twice or give a growl, its taken a while, mainly putting them out of the room for keeping it up. And lots of praise for stopping quick. One now woofs and comes over for his rub and praise, think I may have to change tactics.;)

My dog doesn't bark at horses with riders either that's so funny!! He also barks at cartoon animals even Brian from Family Guy who is standing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

i cant watch most animal shows,, especially things like ceaser milan cos my 1 year old border collie runs at the new tv to follow or sniff at the dogs,,i didnt care when it was the 15 year old fat solid tv:) but now there is a new flat screen that doesnt seem as solid when she is running full speed at it..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lol, dogs :)
    Mine don't bark at all, but they'll make the odd "woooo" when I play YouTube clips of other dogs. Mostly with the Tv they just run up to it and make sideways faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Gromit is the exception in our house, they seem to love the scene in the wrong trousers with the train:D

I really wonder sometimes what goes on in their heads, I'd love to know how they can tell cartoon animals apart? They don't even have to bark!
    And that churchill dog from they ad sends them nuts for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Batt O'Keefe was just on Primetime, I was fecking barking at the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My dads dog was the same, she was a brilliant dog. We would put on Animal Planet for her to watch, she would jump on the chair and dive at the TV screen, so funny, any animals at all, she would go just go crazy when we egged her on..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mymo wrote: »
    Gromit is the exception in our house, they seem to love the scene in the wrong trousers with the train:D

I never knew how brilliant Gromits expressions were with his brow and eyes until we got a dog lol! Before xmas there was a scene in Eastenders where Ricky got and old NES for the kids and was playing duckhunt and the dog character barked - our guy barked at the nintendo dog!! :pac: ...OMG I wonder what would happen if I got a copy of nintendogs for the wii!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dog is very strange when it comes to tv. She cries at raised voices on tv. When it comes to tv dogs she only barks at very menacing ones with bared teeth and snarls. If barking dogs are on she looks at me in bewilderment as if wondering why I am not telling them to sshhh and will growl at them if the barking goes on too long :D

She does bark when kids fall over on tv, as she does in real life, she also barks at suspence music and as a follow on from this has started barking at 'bad people' without the suspense music which I think is learned from seeing them with the suspence music :rolleyes:

She loves all the adverts for some reason and will run up to the tv and sit right in front of it watching intently when they come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My irish setter will bark at most animals on the TV.

Dogs - the new andrex ad with the "couple"
    Any cat food ad with even the shadow of a cat
    Her favourite for a while was one with a cartoon pheasant, it cackled and she used to go wild.
    One man and his dog, dogs, sheep, whistles = heaven!
    The film "Babe"
    Animal planet/animals do the funniest things...

She also looks at the reflection in the opposite window and goes mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

joyce2009 wrote: »
    i cant watch most animal shows,, especially things like ceaser milan cos my 1 year old border collie runs at the new tv to follow or sniff at the dogs,,i didnt care when it was the 15 year old fat solid tv:) but now there is a new flat screen that doesnt seem as solid when she is running full speed at it..:rolleyes:

That must be a collie trait because my grandmother's collie would watch Emmerdale intently - when my grandmother got the dog, it was still Emmerdale Farm and they'd show some animals every once in a while! - and she'd recognise the music and come running in. She also got to recognise advert music that had animals in it and would stare at the TV while they were on. Animal shows always got her attention. Though I do remember back in 2006/7, there was a news report on about Brian O'Driscoll not playing some match and she stuck her nose right up to the screen. We reckoned she might have been a bit of a rugby fan.

One of my current dogs, Meg, took a dislike to a Morecombe and Wise sketch over Christmas. She stared intently at the TV first, started growling and then got off the couch to bark. I don't know what got her so riled. Maybe she was tired of repeats and decided the humour was a bit dated for her liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

koneko wrote: »
    Lol, dogs :)
    Mine don't bark at all, but they'll make the odd "woooo" when I play YouTube clips of other dogs. Mostly with the Tv they just run up to it and make sideways faces.
    With most times my current Lab just does the sidewise head thing, other things he has a command. I say TV, he relaxes, command is is just TV not real, served me well with all of his predecessors Takes a bit of time to teach but works in terms of him not being upset. Only time it did not work was there was a series where people lived like animals, can't find the link, but the person living like the dog he kept running to the TV and running back to me, totally confused but at least not barking. Person acting like dog freaked him out totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mine knows the difference between "stranger" dogs on tv too. As a test I played some vids of himself and a few from daycare at dog training ireland and he didn't bark! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mine will very rarely do, though she's not very vocal at the best of times anyway. Her ears will perk up, but she's only ever howled or barked once or twice at it.

Oddly, the Cow & Gate (?) ads with the laughing babies get her attention, she starts whimpering and howling sometimes when that's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

One of my JRTs loves watching the telly.

The rest of the dogs (4) don't even pay it a passing glance.

He particularly barks at dogs, meerkats, any animal in close-up, people fighting (fisticuffs) and people arguing/shouting.

Occasionally he finds it hard to differentiate between a real dog/animal on the TV, as compared to a puppet, cartoon etc...but he's working on it.

So far, his Top 5 Favourite TV items would be:

1 - The Specsavers Collie/Sheep Shearing advert....he loves this so much, he doesn't even need to *see* the TV, he just has to hear the music from the ad on my iPod and he works himself up into a ball of total barking rage.

2 - Benji The Hunted (Film) - a crappy animal film I mistakenly flicked onto over the Christmas period - he sat through the whole film, flitting between being totally engrossed in watching it, and barking madly at Benji's bad luck. I swear if dogs could cry, he'd have cried with joy at the end too.

3 - The Train company advert, with all the sheep in the queue.

4 - The BBC infill slot, between programmes, with the agility dogs bending around the circle of poles.

5 - The flyball on Crufts

I've been around dogs all my life, but he's the first dog of mine who truly does *watch* the TV. He can be engrossed in it for hours, and has been caught moving his head from side to side during a televised tennis match, honestly!
    Its very hard to predict which advert he will take a fancy to next, or which TV programmes he'll react to...but the funniest thing was watching TV whilst we were staying with a friend a month or so ago...Monty was safely in boarding kennels,and not with us, whilst we were away...however, that didn't stop hubby and I leaping out of our chairs and going on a mad 'remote control' scramble as soon as the Specsavers advert came on...took a fair bit of explaining to our very confused host :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

My dogs bark at even the faintest bark or growl on the television! It's so feckin annoying.
    But haven't noticed anything else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

my dog actually watches TV , sits on the sofa like a human and actually watches it , as soon as an animal comes on she dives off the sofa puts her paws on the TV and bars like mad .

when the cow and gate baby milk add comes on she gets all giddy wags her tail like mad and puts her two paws on the screen and then begins to cry ! we actually recorded the ad and play it now and then to see her reaction ,it's funny she would be fast asleep on the sofa (upside down !) four legs in the air ! and when she hears those babies giggling on the ad she's off , it's really sweet she loves children :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Our 3yr old JRT barks at other dogs (incl. cartoon ones), lions & tigers etc. (but not cats) and also charges at the telly if there's any arguing and/or physical fighting.

Also, if she's asleep & we say the word 'Bed' she leaps up, scuttles across the floor at high speed and gives the telly a good old barking to before heading off with a satisfied look on her face to the back door :D

And...she starts howling when we sing her this song but is completely oblivious to all other music & singing.:confused:

Advertisement