Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Protected Structure in Dublin

Options
  • 13-01-2011 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all - I am looking at buying a listed building in Dublin. It is a two story over basement Georgian terraced property. We had the survey done by a QS who specializes in historic buildings and the survey pretty much said what we assumed - the property needs work, updating, etc etc.

The work required includes re-roofing (although no leaks are prevalent), installing all new electrical, plumbing and central heating. Not to mention the removal of 7 bed sits and a terrible 1960s extension job.

The property surprisingly has no water damage, not even in the basement. Most original joinery has stayed in tact.

In taking the above into consideration, can anyone recommend how much the reno job will cost?

We are budgeted for €50,000 - €75,000, and within this budget, we would hope to be able to replace the bad extension with a new one.

I'd also like to know if anyone can recommend a good builder / contractor who has experience with listed buildings as all work will have to go through planning permission.

This is my first time renovating a property here - I hope I'm not over my head but I think I may well be!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

When dealing with old buildings I suggest you look for advice on the Building Limes Forum of Ireland. google BLFI. Otherwise you could have a builder drylining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dandeliontree

Hi Ellaguz,
    I am also looking at purchasing a protected structure. It looks as if we need to cary out similar works. Was your budget adequate? If not could you share the final costs it would help us a lot.

Also given that it is a protecteds structure were there any planning issues, delays etc., regarding the roofing and internal work such as new heating, plumbing, and rewiring.

Any pointers would really help us out.

Advertisement