Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzpatricks Jewellers

Options
  • 13-01-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I got a present of a ring for xmas from this place in cork, the ring was too big so was gna go back and get them to order it in in my size which was grand, next thing tho when i tried it on, one of the bloody diamonds falls out...

Was really annoyed at that, rang them and the man that answered was like "oh well how do i know ya didn't hop it off a car before ya came in" wtf??? :mad:

So yer man accuses me of damaging it, then i said i want to come down to the shop and arrange a voucher, i wasn't even gna ask for a refund like, i thought the stuff was nice in there, so he says to me "all i can do for ya is send it to be fixed".. so i said here, il talk to ya when i get down there.

So i was pretty p'd off at this stage.. went down anyway and he was still saying the same thing, so i clearly stated that i wasnt going to be taking that ring back after what had happened, i didnt trust it, so eventually i left with store credit, which was grand.

Went back to the shop a few days later to pick something out, found a beautiful ring, just that all their rings are too big for me, i asked the girl in the shop if they could order that ring for me in my size, that was grand, i was delighted, she said she would ring me when it was in, got a phone call yesterday to say they had gotten it in, boyfriend collected it today.

Opened it, put it on, was delighted, took it off and yet another f*** up on their part..........:mad:

It appears that they have not ordered me in a new ring, they just got the one they had re-sized.. which i would not mind atall had they not made such a f*** up of it.. :mad:

The white gold band of the ring is all out of shape on the part where it would have been either cut or whatever they do with it.. and theres another part that is also bent, the thickness of the part where they re-sized it is also uneven...

So basically i dono what to do now.. the first time it was easy.. since the diamond fell out.. but never had anything like this before, hat do ye think i should do next? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

More often than not a ring will be sized rather than ordered, unless specifically stated. Ordering the ring can take a couple of weeks, where sizing one can take a couple of days.

Unfortunatelty you may sometimes have an issue with the ring where a stone may later fall out; this is usually due to the type of setting. It can happen to anyone, and is usually easily rectified.

However, sizing isn't the only thing which may cause a stone to fall out. A lot of people catch rings in doors and wonder why they're suddenly out of shape (it takes quite a bit of force to knock a ring out of shape). People will often catch claws on woollen fibres, which can cause a stone to fall out. A professional jeweller will spot when this has happened, but obviously could not tell that without seeing the ring first.

I assume from your post that the jeweller you bought from is the same jeweller who did the sizing. If it is, then they should sort the issue. If it isn't, then it's no longer their problem, as the ring has been interfered with by a third party.

In this case you sought and received a credit, and found a ring with again needed sizing. Not a big deal; jewellers deal with this all of the time.

You mentioned that the ring was now a different thickness all the way around. This is normal, as the section where the stones are set at the top of the ring will be thicker than at the bottom of the ring, and it will taper from top to bottom.

You also say that the ring is out of shape. Is it by any chance oval in shape? If it is, this is again not unusual. It is often done when a ring needs to be sized down so as not to interfere with the shape of the setting, making it less likely for stones to fall out (when the setting is moved when a ring is sized down in a "round" shape there is a higher chance of stones and setting being moved and stones falling out). This all depends on the type of setting.

If what I've said is different to what's happened, can you post up a picture of the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Evelynmc

I think it's a round shape, il post a pic tmoro as it's hard to explain what I'm talking about, but basically even if you run ur finger around the outside of it you can feel the lumpyness and there's a blackness there also.

I dont know if they did it themselves or not, I've been waiting a couple of weeks for the ring, my other issue is tho, I said specifically "can you order one in for my size" I never asked them to go re-sizing it, if they had rung to say that it wasn't available in my size I would have picked something else out that was :/

Advertisement