Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Penn and Teller behind the tricks?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Years ago (mid 90s?), there was a P&T show on (Channel 4?) where they showed you how to do a fairly simple trick. The basic premise was that you forced a fixed card on the victim then "fluff" the rest of the trick. Try to find their card several times, and eventually give up. At which point, you turn on the telly, and (John Snow?) was on the news. He was talking away and then stopped and said 'Is this your card', while holding up the same card your victim "chose" earlier.

The idea was that you'd have recorded that segment earlier and while turning on the telly, you'd also cue up the tape. I know I've got some specifics wrong, but does anyone know what the show was called?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

corblimey wrote: »
    Years ago (mid 90s?), there was a P&T show on (Channel 4?) where they showed you how to do a fairly simple trick. The basic premise was that you forced a fixed card on the victim then "fluff" the rest of the trick. Try to find their card several times, and eventually give up. At which point, you turn on the telly, and (John Snow?) was on the news. He was talking away and then stopped and said 'Is this your card', while holding up the same card your victim "chose" earlier.

The idea was that you'd have recorded that segment earlier and while turning on the telly, you'd also cue up the tape. I know I've got some specifics wrong, but does anyone know what the show was called?
    AFAIR that was from Penn & Teller: Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks King Mob. There is a US version of the trick on that show with some sadly very dated looking news reportage, but I'm 90% sure it was Jon Snow or at least a British newscaster on the one they showed. Maybe they did a UK version of the same show later on?

That show is great, though, really, so thanks for the heads up.

Heres a link to the version which aired on Channel 4 during the 90's..the series was called The Unpleasent World of Penn and Teller

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Bang on, bmbm. Thanks for that

Advertisement