Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonights 'Animal A&E' question..

Options
  • 13-01-2011 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Forgive my ignorance, but I only caught the last ten minutes of tonights 'Animal A&E' and missed the background to the story of all those dogs/puppys being taken from the owner in Longford (I think!).

Silly question, and I'm totally ignorant (thank god) of this.. But was that a 'puppy farm'?.

Bloody heart breaking scenes, and I can only assume in my ignorance that this is what lies behind puppy farming?.

Sorry if this reads a little disjointed, I'm just damned pissed off after catching that show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

A puppy farm is a large amount of both young and mature dogs in a very small area in usually terrible living conditions and the extensive breeding off b!tches, ensuring at least 2 litters a year all for financial gain.

They are seldom if ever walked, they receive little or no vet care and they are often bred with members of their own family and as a result cause increases in diseases and are one of the reasons we have the problems we have with certain breeds today. E.g. the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and brain issues. It is animal cruelty at its most evil form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    A puppy farm is a large amount of both young and mature dogs in a very small area in usually terrible living conditions and the extensive breeding off b!tches, ensuring at least 2 litters a year all for financial gain.

They are seldom if ever walked, they receive little or no vet care and they are often bred with members of their own family and as a result cause increases in diseases and are one of the reasons we have the problems we have with certain breeds today. E.g. the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and brain issues. It is animal cruelty at its most evil form!

I understand that part, and its sort of easy to read about it and not have a full understanding, ie not seeing the full picture.. So I'm wondering, and I've little doubt it was.. Was that a puppy farm on tonights show?.

It was really upsetting.

I understand that part, and its sort of easy to read about it and not have a full understanding, ie not seeing the full picture.. So I'm wondering, and I've little doubt it was.. Was that a puppy farm on tonights show?.

It was really upsetting.

Sadly yes that was a puppy farm, and I have to say not the worst one I have heard of. Which makes it all the more sickening!!!!:( It is very upsetting seeing these things but they need the public to be more aware and for us to keep an eye out for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Was that a puppy farm on tonights show?.
    Unfortunately yes that was a Puppy Farm Faye Echoing Clothesline, awful wasnt it? Although very distressing to watch im really glad it has been highlighted in a primetime slot.

Does anyone have more info on the Dog Breeding Establishment Bill that is being brought in? Many "breeders" will argue the point that farming dogs is very much like farming cattle or sheep for example but any animal that is being bred shouldnt be kept in conditions like that. There are arguments that emotions shouldnt be brought into it, but that was just disgraceful.

I continually tell people to research research and research their breeder if theyre going down that route. Ive heard of "puppy farm" owners who disguise the mother and pups and set them up in a different environment i.e. a loving family situation, when potential buyers come to see them.

Not pleasant to watch but the sooner this abhorrent practice is regulated the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We watched that, my 13 yr old is now upstairs in bed cuddling with 2 dogs and a cat (needed to hug them for a while), it upset her quite a bit that the guy didn't see anything wrong with the way the dogs were kept.
    Her words were "hope they stick him in a tiny jail cell and make him walk barefoot in his pee for the rest of his life"

I just hope it opens more peoples eyes as to where their pup comes from and doing research.

Just to add, the law is the problem here, and there need to be tight regulations around breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know if he's being prosecuted is he? I'm glad that they showed it, and that it was quite a small operation, with his house at the front of it, I think the difficulty a lot of the time is that people go to somebody's house and meet puppies and so don't think that they could possibly be a puppy farmer. People think that puppy farms are huge big places, where its obvious whats going on. Anybody driving up to that house would not imagine how the dogs were being kept, so hopefully it has opened some eyes.

Anyway, some good news, the Samoyed that was featured, and was put up on screen at the end, looking for a new home, was actually adopted yesterday by a friend of mine. I met the dog yesterday and he's lovely, he has gone to a fantastic home where he will be very much loved and get loads of exercise, and share his life with another sammy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Glas to hear the Samoyed found a good home, the red Husky at the end was amazing looking, I like alot of you I am sure like looking at Donedeal just to look mat all the dog pictures:o
    The red husky looks just like this one from a few weeks back.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/153272/143246.jpg

could be one in the same. I was very shocked when I heard he had 70 dogs on his premises. He didn't feel anything I would guess because he was treating the animals as a product.

More often than not it is smaller breeds that are stuffed into these tiny conditions as you can fit 3 yorkies in the space of one lab! That sort of logic is what goes through their sick heads. My housemate is in Vet in UCD and what they see is absolutely sickening, the sort of thing you could not put on tv!

Thankfully it is getting the legislation necessary to help these animals, but it still needs people to be vigilant and report anything suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't know if he's being prosecuted is he? I'm glad that they showed it, and that it was quite a small operation, with his house at the front of it, I think the difficulty a lot of the time is that people go to somebody's house and meet puppies and so don't think that they could possibly be a puppy farmer. People think that puppy farms are huge big places, where its obvious whats going on. Anybody driving up to that house would not imagine how the dogs were being kept, so hopefully it has opened some eyes.

Anyway, some good news, the Samoyed that was featured, and was put up on screen at the end, looking for a new home, was actually adopted yesterday by a friend of mine. I met the dog yesterday and he's lovely, he has gone to a fantastic home where he will be very much loved and get loads of exercise, and share his life with another sammy:D

I heard somewhere that he will not be prosecuted because he handed all the dogs over! I am very surprised he allowed them to film inside his property.
    Great news for the Samoyed:) hopefully they will all find good homes, poor little guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

ppink wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that he will not be prosecuted because he handed all the dogs over! I am very surprised he allowed them to film inside his property.
    Great news for the Samoyed:) hopefully they will all find good homes, poor little guys.

Is it the case that once you agree to hand an animal over you can't be prosecuted?
    I watched the A&E christmas special the other week where they showed some of the cases from the show during the yar.
    One that stood out for me was a golden lab been starved in the back garden of a beautiful estate, possibly in Kildare (not sure of location). the dog was nothing but skin and bone and had started to eat it's own tail from hunger!!!
    The owner agreed to surrender the dog and the ISPCA office said "we don't judge". I was truely shocked that the animal was being kept in these conditions in what looked like a pretty decent family home and the owner would get away without a slap on the wrist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Correct me if I am wrong,

but the ISPCA have no legal power at all in Ireland much diffrent to their British equivilants who are basically the Police over there. If the ISPCA came up to someone and asked could they view their animals, the owner could just say "No, Get lost" if they so wished and that would be the end of it, unless its dogs in which case the ISPCA can report to the local Dog warden.

They depend on peoples ignorance of the law and who they actually are (because their uniforms make them look offical) and hope that they give up their abused pets, If this is the case then I hope the state give organisations the power to legally force animal abusers to be prosecuted like in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

That was horrible to watch :(

The conditions looked appalling and the guy didn't even attempt to offer a reason for it.

At least the animals are in better hands now. Fingers crossed they'll go to happy homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

It's true that the ISPCA has no power to force the owner to hand over a dog-they can only ask for it to be done willingly. The dog warden and gardai must be involved to actually confiscate an animal without the owner's consent.
    While it's a very disturbing subject, I was happy it was highlighted on primetime tv, and it just goes to show that even though it was a nice tidy house in the country, there was a horror in the back garden.
    I hope this will inspire people who insist on buying dogs to really do their research.
    I, for one, will NEVER buy a dog as the practice of selling dogs promotes puppy farms (easy money, or so the farmers think). The puppy farmer featured didn't seem to think anything was wrong- that was truly sickening. He asked 'would that be sore?' when shown the urine scald on the dogs feet. :eek:! of course it would be you moron. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Usually dont like that show but that was a great episode. Should be more of that on tv in order to raise awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Correct me if I am wrong,

but the ISPCA have no legal power at all in Ireland much diffrent to their British equivilants who are basically the Police over there. If the ISPCA came up to someone and asked could they view their animals, the owner could just say "No, Get lost" if they so wished and that would be the end of it, unless its dogs in which case the ISPCA can report to the local Dog warden.

They depend on peoples ignorance of the law and who they actually are (because their uniforms make them look offical) and hope that they give up their abused pets, If this is the case then I hope the state give organisations the power to legally force animal abusers to be prosecuted like in the UK.

The RSPCA do not have the same legal powers as the police, they cannot take any animal or go into someones home without a police officer and a warrant. Of course, they may chance their arm and hope the person doesn't question this.

http://the-shg.org/The%20Law%20and%20the%20RSPCA.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The RSPCA do not have the same legal powers as the police, they cannot take any animal or go into someones home without a police officer and a warrant. Of course, they may chance their arm and hope the person doesn't question this.

http://the-shg.org/The%20Law%20and%20the%20RSPCA.htm

In reality they do because the Police will always back the RSPCA. If a RSPCA inspector calls for Police assistance they arrive pretty quick. The vast majority of Police officers are animal lovers & support the RSPCA. I have witnessed RSPCA officers smashing car windows without the Police being there because they know that the Police are on the way. No Court is going to find an inspector guilty if they were acting to save an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Blueprint wrote: »

thanks for the link .I just watched this. very upsetting . no wonder the owner was so pleasent in handing the dogs over , he probably just go and get more and start all over again :mad: its probably that simple in this ridiculous country where there are no real regulations :(

A lot of the Puppy Farmers will just spread their dogs around so that there are no more that 5 bitches at each location & they become exemption from the useless Dog Breeding Establishments Bill.

They also have "nice families" who pose as the breeder. So you see some puppies with a bitch, that's not necessarily the mother, in a family home & have no idea that they came from a Puppy Farm.

The number of Christmas Pups that have just appeared on our streets shows that it is big business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I just watched it as well. Wonder will there be any follow up checks to make sure he just doesn't just go out and buy more dogs and start it up again? Since there were no charges brought against him he is still free to own animals. :( I hope neighbours and friends recognize these 'people' and run them out of the community, hope they never find happiness wherever they are. I just wished they had named and shamed them. :mad: And it's unbelieveable to think they get away scot free, not even having to cover costs to care for the dogs and bring them back up to full health. :mad:

It's amazing how heartless these people are. The woman who answered the door had a dog in her arms (chihuahua I think?) so obviously some dogs were treated as pets, and the non-pets were just shoved in an overcrowded filthy shed. :mad:
    Im nearly sure that the woman presenter was balling her eyes out when she was bringing some pups out of the shed, or it could have been the ammonia stinging her eyes. :( And the big worm bellies on the pups. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I just watched it as well. Wonder will there be any follow up checks to make sure he just doesn't just go out and buy more dogs and start it up again? Since there were no charges brought against him he is still free to own animals. :( I hope neighbours and friends recognize these 'people' and run them out of the community, hope they never find happiness wherever they are. I just wished they had named and shamed them. :mad: And it's unbelieveable to think they get away scot free, not even having to cover costs to care for the dogs and bring them back up to full health. :mad:

It's amazing how heartless these people are. The woman who answered the door had a dog in her arms (chihuahua I think?) so obviously some dogs were treated as pets, and the non-pets were just shoved in an overcrowded filthy shed. :mad:
    Im nearly sure that the woman presenter was balling her eyes out when she was bringing some pups out of the shed, or it could have been the ammonia stinging her eyes. :( And the big worm bellies on the pups. :(

The ispca officers looked pretty choked up aswell,I thought he was going to cry there.
    Serious issues and how do those people sell on dogs that are in such a bad way?
    All it took was him to get the hose out and wash them sheds down and feed them.
    I hope he gets charged eventually and banned from being allowed to profit from sales of any animal.That should be a sted fast law in this country.
    Does he not need a licence to breed aswell here?
    If people had that and a law enforcement that had to check these puppy breeders,these things would not be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The laws in Ireland are pretty useless at the moment log on to Anvil.ie though if interested in making a difference.

He'll no doubt start breeding again, if he was making money out of it at all he will he may or may not be checked on again but hopefully they will check up on him if they have the man power.

It's up to people at the end of the day to use common sense when buying a dog, these puppy farmers wouldn't be in buisness if people bought from reputable breeders or adopted from rescues so if everyone spreads the word and encourages any friends or realtives to adopt or buy responsibly then it will help.

The laws in Ireland are pretty useless at the moment log on to Anvil.ie though if interested in making a difference.

I believe that ANVIL are very quiet at the moment.

Advertisement