Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Link not working. Please advise

Options
  • 13-01-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

A friend of mine has a website with an mp4 file on it. The mp4 file is physically on the server but the link on the website isn't working.

The website is: http://www.gwscork.ie/corporate_presentation.html

Under "Click here to download presentation" there is a hyperlink to GWS Presentation, which is an mp4 file. However,the link is not working. See the attached picture showing the mp4 file on the server. It appears to be in the correct location.

The same file is on another website (http://www.kunnertandtierney.com/html/sample_presentations.html) and can be downloaded without any issues under Corporate Presentations GWS. The only thing I can think of is that the file hasn't been uploaded in its entirety. Any other thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is that the file hasn't been uploaded in its entirety.
    The error occurs as soon as you click the link and reports a 404 error so I doubt that an incomplete upload is the problem.

This looks like one of those problems were one gets so baffled that they don't see the tiny, simple error that is causing it - though I don't know that that tiny, simple error is.

The spelling of the filename looks right. Can you copy/paste the name from the file manager (in the screenshot) into the html doc to ensure that it is right?

Quick aside: You could list the file size beside the link so that people can decide whether to click the link, instead of waiting a while for it to download and potentially cancelling the download in frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

It's not the link, even if you copy and paste the file name into your address bar it doesn't load. It's probably not in that directory or has been renamed.

Good advice on mentioning the file size, you should also add file type.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll get back to him and suggest being more transparent with the info.

I'll have a look at the file structure again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice guys. I'll get back to him and suggest being more transparent with the info.

I'll have a look at the file structure again. Thanks

You could also use an icon to indicate the file type, just do a Google image search for 'mp4 icon'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

The only thing i can think of is to upload a small image to the same folder and see if you can navigate to that too.

then try a video file. would the host block certain file types?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Are the MIME types set on your server?

Advertisement