Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groupset Advice

Options
  • 13-01-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all

Currently I have a campy Mirage groupset on my bike. Im considering an upgrade to something slightly newer for various reasons. The main one being i was about to spend my savings on a new full carbon bike but decided to wait it out and see how i get on over the summer with a the likes of the wicklow 200 etc on my current bike before i splash out. I want to learn how to ride properly in groups etc so would feel somewhat stupid if i crash my lovely 2000 euro racing bike due to inexperience

So i though a new groupset might be worth the investment as i do plan on keeping this bike in the long-term. I was looking at the shimano 105 5700 and though it would be a decent upgrade from what i currently have.

Would anyone be able to share their opinion on what groupset would be worth the investment?

The price of the 105 would be the max im willing to spend and am not interested in a 2nd hand groupset

Thanks All

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For my money, I'd keep the same groupsets (pick Shimano or Campag and go with it) on all bikes so that I can swap wheels between them. I wouldn't bother upgrading unless the groupset is broken. Keep your money and put it towards the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

thanks ram,

im looking at keeping this as my only bike for at least the next 12months. As i dont see any value in buy an expensive bike where the only advantage i could derive from it would be small. I would then just keep it to train on in the winter months

I do for see my self needing a new chainset and chain regardless, so see it as a good time to swap around. Im just not too sure if i would see any major difference between the campy mirage and the 105 gropset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

with Raam on this. Keep what you have. See how you get on with what you have. If you are insisting on an upgrade there is a Veloce on sale on ebay going for a song. will try and post the link.

Why do you need a new chainset? Is the current one broken? I'm tryna save you money here :)

all 3 rings on it are quite worn, so too replace the 3 of them and chain would be costly. In the long run im wondering would i be better off just replacing the groupset. If the chainrings are on there way out then i dont think im having much confidence in the shifters either as they would be fairly old. Once i replace one expensive part on it im tied into replacing the rest or else i have a major sunken cost

• Advertisement

How long do you have them? I have my Ultegra chain-rings since 2006.

the bike is a 2005 modle. So the groupset is actually quite old. They havent gone yet but are very sharp and cant see them lasting much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ok. Most of the campy range is compatible.Why not change the stuff as it wears.
    regarding the shifters I w ould be very surprised if they are worn. You are more likely to break the shifter then wear it out.
    Replace your crankset to whatever you can push to and then as you feel like.

Well a 105 groupset is gonna set you back about 600 blips.
    I dunno the price of Mirage chainrings, but it ain't gonna be that much.

Thanks for the reply

so just replacing would be the most economical things to do. Last time i had it serviced i was told the left shifter was showing signs it was on its way out. Sometimes the upshift doesn't come back into place when shifting up. I price the new 105 from cyclesuperstore and was told they would do it for me for around 450, which i though would be a better investment rather than replacing them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

macken04 wrote: »
    Once i replace one expensive part on it im tied into replacing the rest or else i have a major sunken cost

I think really you're looking at a small sunk cost as opposed to a large one. Yep, chainrings can and do wear out, but that doesn't necessitate replacing an entire group.

I'd save my pennies and keep them for the new bike. A newish groupset on an older frame is not the best of investments.

Campag shifters will last a very long time with care. I've 1997 Record on one of my bikes and it still works perfectly.

Thanks for your reply,
    I think you could be right, prob a very small performance improvement if i was to upgrade. I think i could be best served keeping it until it dies. Hasnt actually given me much trouble other than the worn chainrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I got a bike a couple of years ago. It was available with both 105 and Mirage (as well as Ultegra and Dura Ace) with the Mirage being slightly more expensive. Compag tends to be more expensive than Shimano but it did somewhat suggest to me that Mirage would have been considered to be on par at least with 105. However, Mirage is no longer in production and a new 105 is released roughly every year so the current 105 may be a very slight "upgrade" although realistically it'd be more accurate to call it a replacement of your current word gruppo.

As already mentioned here, for the sake of comfort and convenience it'd probably be best to choose one manufacturer and stick with it i.e. one of Compag, Shimano or SRAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Replacement chainrings shouldn't cost too much:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24153

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If you did decide to buy a Shimano 105 groupset, have a look at Rosebikes.co.uk. They are a German company, the .co.uk thing is just the English version of their website. I recently bought a Tiagra groupset from them, delivered in 4 days with a delivery charge of €5.95. I took the liberty of pricing a 105 5700 series groupset for you, total cost inc delivery is €504, I doubt you will get it cheaper anywhere. They dont "group" the components as such, you just need to spend a little time putting the various bits in the shopping cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I dont think you'll notice a performance difference in going with 105 (although you might notice the difference from campy to shimano). I'd just change the chainrings if I were you. If your left shifter is gone, look for one on ebay or such. If you really feel like you need to upgrade something (which I'm sure we can all understand:)) perhaps you should look at some new wheels, you'd probably notice those more than 105, assuming you don't already have a decent set.

If you go for shimano you'll also have to change your freehub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Bit mad in my opinion to put a brand new groupset on an old bike. - I'm guessing your bike is of a similar vintage and in similar condition to the groupset that's on it - I could be wrong!

600 quid is a lot of money to pump into an old, high mileage bike, considering you'd get an entire bike with 105 on it, and maybe even ultegra, for around 1200 quid. - A neighbour of mine bought a cube road bike last year, not sure what the model was but cyclesuperstore had them on sale for a good while, lovely looking bike, red and white paint scheme, good wheels, good tires, nice finishing kit, al frame/carbon fork, and full (new - 6700) ultegra groupset on it.

Do what you like of course, but what I would do is - keep me money for my new bike, start shopping now, buy my new bike, ride and train on my old bike and spend the min amount of money on it, and when we've truly seen the last of the winter (May? perhaps :)), pull the new bike out of the shed and have a cracking season on it!

No sense flogging a dead horse all summer and then looking at buying in the autumn, when you shouldn't be using a good bike anyway.

yea thanks for the advice all, its still a fine bike. I think maybe in my disappointment at deciding to be more prudent and not splashing on a new bike for the summer, i was trying to justify something else.

Im just going to replace what i really need to and stick with what i dont. I actually replace the stock wheels recently after deciding not to buy the new bike. I got a pair of mavic aksium's. There just much more reliable feel like i could drive through a war zone and they'ed be fine.

Strangle enough with the shift i decided to remove all the cables and clean what i could out. A good spar of oil and it seems to be fine (touch wood), now however the limiter screws have become stuck

Just a bad week for the bike

For anyone after a 105 5700, cyclesuperstore have them for around 470, they informed me they would also fit it for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

I went from tiagra to dura ace,whats difference weight a few hundred grams.Honestly tiagra is almost as good as dura ace,better wheels is a better option.A much better option,however I understand where your coming from.We all want something better to help us go faster ,or
    something that will make it easier at least.If your heart is set on to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Treat yourself on the cheap; new shorts, new grip tape, get the bike a full service, new tyres, cables, that sort of stuff. I'm always amazed at how "new" a bike feels after you change the tape, tyres and cables. Oh, and brake pads. Save your money up, get out on your newly dickied up old bike, and justify parting with a decent amount of money to get a proper upgrade. You'll prefer that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Dont know if anyone mentioned it jockey wheels and cables will make it shift like a new group once your chain and cassete are in good nic

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

105 5600 full group for €379 here with the 10% discount.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Road+Parts/Transmission/Groupsets+-+Road+Bike/Shimano+105+5600+Groupset_SHIMANO-5600-GROUP.htm

Mine was shipped today :D

not a triple tho!

Advertisement