Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Options
  • 13-01-2011 3:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I saw this in Aldi today. I was wondering could you use it for cleaning bike parts, like chains and cassettes?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I use a rag and a brush with some degreaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Is it good for hair removal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

So long as it's not as strong as the sonicating waterbaths we have in the lab (which would take the plating off an object like a cassette) it'd probably do the job, I'm gonna have to go with Raam though - degreaser, rag and brush FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Ultrasonic cleaners would make the parts too clean IMO. Like girls, you want them a wee bit dirty, there's more fun to be had that way. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I picked one up earlier today. Haven't used it yet but it's cleaning duties would be purely cassettes and chains. The tank in it isn't really large enough for anything else. I'm fed up cleaning cassettes with a toothbrush.:)
    IIRC PlanetX uses something similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've hired out industrial ones in the past for cleaning cutlery etc... in the hotels and found them great but I was wondering before I bought one, if it'd do any damage to the parts?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I won't know till I use it but if I get time tonight I'll throw a manky cassette into it and see what happens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing if its alright for cleaning jewellery, it should be OK for bike parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

FWIW, I recommend Kaboom citrus degreaser with sponge water and rag. Followed by Fenwicks lube.

Recently on my commuter I started using Fenwicks foam degreaser. Its a spray on foam. Leave on for 5mins.
    Bucket of water to remove.
    Drydown and lube. Its working well on a bike that is getting much abuse from gritty roads and needs a quick wash every night. I like it fir simple reason that it turns groupset cleaning to a 10minute job.

• Advertisement

th_iphonejan11067-1.jpg

th_iphonejan11069.jpg

Taken with camera phone so poor quality.:o
    Certainly did a good job on a cassette not cleaned for over two months with dried up lube and road grim.
    It still left a few bits on the cogs but a quick wipe sorted that. I'd usually clean my chain and cassette every two weeks so they wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as above so they'd come out spotless I'd say.
    Used water with a small amount of Fenwicks FS-1 degreaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

biological washing powder, the cheapest you can find. no need for nice fresh scent or softness!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

ROK ON
    Where did you but the Fenwicks foam degreaser? Looks pretty quick and easy to use and not as much clean up afterwards! Would like to give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

ROK ON
    Where did you but the Fenwicks foam degreaser? Looks pretty quick and easy to use and not as much clean up afterwards! Would like to give it a try

Cycleogical. Saw it, and said I would give it a try.
    As I said, if you simply need to give something a quick wash it is great. Ended up using it Mon, Tues & Wed this week. Reality is that if I had to wash the drivetrain properly each night I wouldnt have bothered.
    So its good on my commuter/trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

CheGuedara wrote: »
    So long as it's not as strong as the sonicating waterbaths we have in the lab (which would take the plating off an object like a cassette) it'd probably do the job, I'm gonna have to go with Raam though - degreaser, rag and brush FTW

yep, ex lab rat here also, ultrasonics are powerful cleaners: recommendation is not to touch them when in operation ( to feel the sonication vibration) due to tissue cell damage they will cause while feeling the sonication.

Advertisement