Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing sleeping arrangements for an older dog

Options
  • 13-01-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

my 9yr old very spoilt parson russel (pandora) has slept at the foot of my bed (under the covers) for the last 8yrs, over the last 18mths she has had 2 bedwetting accidents in her sleep which i find upsetting and unhygenic as well as inconvient as i have to get up in the night change all the bedding and wash pandora to her disgust!

if i just put her in a bed on the floor she would sneak back into bed as soon as im asleep, if i shut her out of the room she would become distressed

my alternative is to buy something similar to a tub chair have it next to my bed at first to reassure her and put the most comfortable bedding on it and convince her it is a better alternative than the bed as i will at the same time be banning her from the bed, any ideas on how to make the transition to her new bed easier on her as she is a very sensitive dog and we have a very close bond, ive been thinking about putting an item of unwashed clothing in the new raised bed to aid the transition, and covering her with a blanket as she is accustomed to sleeping under the covers here.

am i going along the right tracks or is this madness pandering to my old dog like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I know it's very difficult when they get a bit older and things don't work the same.

Have you tried puppy pads? They are essentially a soft pad that has a plastic backing (so the floor doesn't get wet) that the dog can go to the toilet on. It may take a little training to get her to go on them initially but once they get the hang of it, they can be very handy. Most large pet stores sell them. Always worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

I know it's very difficult when they get a bit older and things don't work the same.

Have you tried puppy pads? They are essentially a soft pad that has a plastic backing (so the floor doesn't get wet) that the dog can go to the toilet on. It may take a little training to get her to go on them initially but once they get the hang of it, they can be very handy. Most large pet stores sell them. Always worth a try.

she has been asleep both times she wet herself and woken up very soon after and she has leapt out of bed in a bit of a panic as she is a very clean dog normally, im afraid it will become a more regular occurence the older she gets so im trying to start the transition now in preparation for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Have you brought her to the vet? In case its not just an age thing - she might have a kidney infection or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

+1 for bringing her to the vet, I think you can get medication for some kinds of incontinence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 for bringing her to the vet, I think you can get medication for some kinds of incontinence
    OP before you go changing her entire sleeping situation...and yours :D get a health check up at your vet.if you're worried about the expense it mightnt be that much. Shes in her senior years now and may need Propalin for urinary incontinence at this stage. A lot easier than any drastic bedroom changes tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

i dont think she has anything wrong with her as she is clean in the house all day and all night normally, she asks to be let out at normal intervals, we've had dogs with incontinence and other dogs with kidney infections over the years and she is displaying none of the symptoms, she will sometimes wake me up to be let out in the night, she is as fit and healthy as she was as a 4-5yr old, i think its just a case she half wakes up wanting to pee but is so warm and comfy she left it to last minute instead of getting up... then its too late! if i thought there was even a chance she was i'll id have her into the best dog vet that i know immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thats fair enough but a dog of that age doesnt just wet the bed because its "too cosy" if you know what i mean. The daytime is broken up a lot with coming and going etc, nighttime...say 10pm till 7am is a different story. Its complete silence, inactivity and darkness. A weak bladder wont cop that..!

If shes asleep a weak bladder just wont give her the signals to do anything about it...itll just let loose. Honestly at 9 years old there will be things like this that will be not working quite right. It honestly doesnt sound like a behavioural thing to me because as you say shes able to indicate to you when shes awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

i dont think she has anything wrong with her as she is clean in the house all day and all night normally, she asks to be let out at normal intervals, we've had dogs with incontinence and other dogs with kidney infections over the years and she is displaying none of the symptoms.

No but she *IS* peeing in her sleep...which is not normal in a healthy dog, even an older one! (and I personally don't consider 9 to be old in a PRT)

Please take her to the vet, to rule it out if nothing else;)

Advertisement