Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird gear changing sounds

Options
  • 13-01-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

For the last couple of the days while cycling, my bike keeps making sounds and some movements like as if its changing gears without me changing them myself. It does it regardless of what gear I'm in.
    Anyone have any ideas as to why it's doing it or how I might fix it?
    Even a link to previous threads relating to this would be a great help (couldn't find any myself).

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

chances are stretched cables, look up how to replace gear cables, just skip the actually replace the cable bit. should sort it.

any trouble go to your lbs, sounds like a ten minute job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PetrolHeadGav

prob need to replace the gear cable, or the derailer needs addjusting,did the derailer get a knock of nything? that mite be the problem.
    If you dnt know how to addjust them youself bring it to a bike shop. They shouldnt carge you for jst adjusting ur gears. But prob around €5-€10 for new gear cable n fitting and adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

could be a number of things:

1.worn out cassette

2.chain has strecthed

3.mech needs adjusting

if its number three its fairly straight forward to fix but if stuffs worn it needs to be replaced a worn chain with a bad block will cause the chain to ''skip'' a few teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Thanks guys, just remembered I'm due the free check-up from Halford's so they might be able to fix it.

Only had it since Nov and don't remember hitting it off anything (despite my natural clumsiness:rolleyes:)

It needs a clean so is it possible that, I don't know, maybe somethings stuck in the chain?

Advertisement