Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog advice

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I need some advice on what sort of dog would be a good companion for our newfoundland, the max size dog i would be thinking of is around the same size as a springer spaniel. Doesn't have to be a purebred as well. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 genekelly

jack01986 wrote: »
    Hey guys I need some advice on what sort of dog would be a good companion for our newfoundland, the max size dog i would be thinking of is around the same size as a springer spaniel. Doesn't have to be a purebred as well. Any suggestions?

has to be a border collie very inteligent loyal easily trained

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

the border collie is one of the most hyper active breeds there is, I would put them right up there with Huskies when it comes to exercise needs.

Maybe a bull Mastiff, good size for the newfoundland and exercise needs are not too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Was actually thinking a collie type dog bu the others are not to sure about them. Bull mastiff is way to big one big dog is more than enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

We have a Bernese and the companion we picked is a bichon, both male, both snipped and they the best of mates. Two big dogs would be too much methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

jack01986 wrote: »
    Was actually thinking a collie type dog bu the others are not to sure about them. Bull mastiff is way to big one big dog is more than enough. :)

My vet took in a stray collie,he is lovely.Male about 18 months old.Fine with dogs and met my kids.Pm me if interested in meeting him.The dog is in leixlip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would look at the following www.irishanimals.ie or www.dogstrust.ie and go up and have a look at some of the dogs/pups for homing you'll get great back up and great advice for a match for your own dog and you'll be able to introduce the dogs before making a commitment alternatively I would contact www.homewardbound.ie who are amazing and you can opt to foster a dog before adopting to see how you get on. So many great resources before having to decide. Best of Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

A lab X could be a good companion! Both like water and both on the same happy wave length!! Labs are not too big!! I have a dobie fella and a whippet x staffy and she is a good bit smaller than him all round! I was exact same wanted a companion for him but not quite as big!

http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=3c0add3d9ba895ff09ca9c65dea73f96

I got my girl from Dogs in Distress link above shows all the dogs they currently have in foster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

cjf wrote: »
    A lab X could be a good companion! Both like water and both on the same happy wave length!! Labs are not too big!! I have a dobie fella and a whippet x staffy and she is a good bit smaller than him all round! I was exact same wanted a companion for him but not quite as big!

http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=3c0add3d9ba895ff09ca9c65dea73f96

I got my girl from Dogs in Distress link above shows all the dogs they currently have in foster!

+1 def on lab x. I have a one, lab and looks like crossed with greyhound or whippett. We have a golden lab and wanted companion so our lab x is perfect company for him. Rosco on DID looks nice. How old is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Advertisement