Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloaded handcent, but no different to what I had!

Options
  • 12-01-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Is there anything I can do to change the keyboard within the app to what I thought it was going to be - T9 and keypad format for quick texting...

Qwerty driving me nuts.

Have tried long press within message setting to change format, but only default option is available.

What did I do wrong?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Don't fully understand the question... did you download the handcent app or keyboard? If it's the app then doesn't it just use your default input method that you have chosen? Like I use Smart Keyboard Pro (highly recommend) and when I get a text and handcent pops up it automatically uses SKP. All I then have to do is swipe left for me to get to T9 style.

Don't know if this helps, hope it does.

Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Don't fully understand the question... did you download the handcent app or keyboard? If it's the app then doesn't it just use your default input method that you have chosen? Like I use Smart Keyboard Pro (highly recommend) and when I get a text and handcent pops up it automatically uses SKP. All I then have to do is swipe left for me to get to T9 style.

Don't know if this helps, hope it does.

Luke.

Sorry, wasn't clear - yes downloaded the app, was under the impression it would replace the qwerty keyboard within X8 and that texting would be alot easier. now you've confused me:D,

quote If it's the app then doesn't it just use your default input method that you have chosen? unquote

My default is the qwerty, being the only one, and I thought handcent would install t9 or something along those lines, that I could then change at the default level (after longpress within text box i get this option to change but there is nothing to change to except default which is qwerty) Hope that didn't sound confusing:p

:confused:

Oh no ha ha it doesn't do that. It's just like a quick-message viewer type thing. You know you can download all sorts of keyboards in the Market? Just search for "keyboard" in the Market. You'll find a bunch. :D I recommend the Smart Keyboard Pro as you can change keyboard themes etc. on that. I like variety. :D But yeah, after you download it should come with instructions on how to install. (really easy) Then you can just look through the setting and decide on a gesture to switch between keyboard types. :) This should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Oh no ha ha it doesn't do that. It's just like a quick-message viewer type thing. You know you can download all sorts of keyboards in the Market? Just search for "keyboard" in the Market. You'll find a bunch. :D I recommend the Smart Keyboard Pro as you can change keyboard themes etc. on that. I like variety. :D But yeah, after you download it should come with instructions on how to install. (really easy) Then you can just look through the setting and decide on a gesture to switch between keyboard types. :) This should help.

:ooooh, ok - downloaded the wrong thing so. Don't know much about apps, but will start with uninstalling the wrong one first so.

thanks a mil for the help.:D

Ha ha no problem. Yeah I think you did, what you're looking for is a keyboard not a messaging app! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

you have to enable keyboards in settings -> language & keyboard first. Then on a the typing space press and hold and choose input method :) then choose the downloaded keyboard.

I use GoSMS with Smartkeyboard Pro (for the fact that its easy to get themes for them :) ) you can try SwiftIT alot of users on boards like it :) you can get a free 31 day trial with that :)

you have to enable keyboards in settings -> language & keyboard first. Then on a the typing space press and hold and choose input method :) then choose the downloaded keyboard.

I use GoSMS with Smartkeyboard Pro (for the fact that its easy to get themes for them :) ) you can try SwiftIT alot of users on boards like it :) you can get a free 31 day trial with that :)

I tried GoSMS for a while but I found that it took ages for a text to come through on it. It would go to the inbox first then pop-up, on the other hand with 'handcent I would get the handcent pop-up before I got it to my inbox. Just from my experience. :D

Where do you get your themes from? Any good websites? :D

Is SwiftIT Swype or am I mistaking? :o If it is, I doubt that'll work very well on a small screen like the X8. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

idk GoSMS works nicely here :) no lag in message coming up :) the pop up message works grand too :) just needed to turn of the notification in stock messaging app (otherwise you get double notification) and it works great :)

Not sure does swiftit has slide keyboard. You can type as normally with it. I took it down cause it didnt look very polished up ;) massive buttons too. Though the good thing about it, it learns your typing style better so it learns to correct your mistypes ;)

I got themes from Smartkeyboard Pro forum http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/ :) in general setting where you can chose the skin it shows "get more skins" under all the themes. Then it brings you to their site and just go to the forum after and find the ones you like and download

just make a folder in sd card named skins and place them there. When you go into skins in settings next time it will be there :) They have a few nice keyboards :) must go look at the forum again :) maybe something new came out :D:D keyboards from BetterKeyboard work with it too

Advertisement