Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English/CSPE Teacher wishing to change career!!

Options
  • 12-01-2011 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has changed career from being an English/CSPE teacher to any other profession before?
    I find that I dont enjoy teaching as much as I thought I would..in other words I get no statisfaction from the job. Im 25years old and with the current economic situation I feel its as good a time to change career as any! Full time teaching is hard come by and only going to get harder, so that and the fact that I dont enjoy the job has me thinking about a change of career!

The thing is I've already spent 5 years in college..I have a BA in English and Sociology and Politics, an MA in Arts (Irish Studies- which included English,Politics, Sociology and History) and a Postgraduate Diploma in Education. The thing is I dont want to waste all of my previous study and hard work.
    I want to find out is there any one year courses that I could do which would incorporate my degree or any of my previous studies yet allow me to progress to work in a different career without having to spend another 3/4 years in college.

I'd imagine with an English degree i should have a few options. I have a keen interest in media studies, writing, editing, using computers,technology, research, music (part time DJ) and politics. Any suggestions for any course/s which would include some or any of these interests?
    I would ideally like to do something which I enjoy and I can gain employment from too(here or abroad). I realise this is a big ask considering the state of the economy but I have no problem with going abroad to work if I have to.
    I also want to find out if i can get a mature student grant even though I have a few qualifications or is it regarded as not progressing my education and therefore no grant available.
    Any suggestions/ideas from people in courses related to my interests or any experiences from anyone who has changed careers would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has changed career from being an English/CSPE teacher to any other profession before?
    I find that I dont enjoy teaching as much as I thought I would..in other words I get no statisfaction from the job. Im 25years old and with the current economic situation I feel its as good a time to change career as any! Full time teaching is hard come by and only going to get harder, so that and the fact that I dont enjoy the job has me thinking about a change of career!

The thing is I've already spent 5 years in college..I have a BA in English and Sociology and Politics, an MA in Arts (Irish Studies- which included English,Politics, Sociology and History) and a Postgraduate Diploma in Education. The thing is I dont want to waste all of my previous study and hard work.
    I want to find out is there any one year courses that I could do which would incorporate my degree or any of my previous studies yet allow me to progress to work in a different career without having to spend another 3/4 years in college.

I'd imagine with an English degree i should have a few options. I have a keen interest in media studies, writing, editing, using computers,technology, research, music (part time DJ) and politics. Any suggestions for any course/s which would include some or any of these interests?
    I would ideally like to do something which I enjoy and I can gain employment from too(here or abroad). I realise this is a big ask considering the state of the economy but I have no problem with going abroad to work if I have to.
    I also want to find out if i can get a mature student grant even though I have a few qualifications or is it regarded as not progressing my education and therefore no grant available.
    Any suggestions/ideas from people in courses related to my interests or any experiences from anyone who has changed careers would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Did you ever make it out of teaching in the end? If so, doing what? I'm finding my job as a teacher very very difficult right now......I desperately want to find a way out

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You're addressing your question to a closed account. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement