Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longshot - Vegetarian Stout?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Probably a long shot but said I'd ask ye beer experts if any of ye know of a stout that's brewed without isinglass?

None of Guinness, Murphy's, Beamish, O'Hara's are suitable for vegetarians as they all use isinglass in the brewing process.

Even if you don't know if they're vegetarian or not, could you please name some other stouts, no matter how rare they are, so I can maybe contact them and see if they use isinglass?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

Can't think of any - but just an idea, perhaps you could try to brew your own stout? At least you could be sure then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks Dónal. Where can you buy the stuff for that? How long does it take usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Black Rock Stout from the Dungarvan Brewing Company is what you are looking for. Unfiltered, unpasteurised, bottle conditioned beer made without the use of Isinglass.

From their website: "All our bottled range is vegan friendly."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Porterhouse beers are isinglass-free as well (though the Oyster is out for other reasons :)). In fact, given how expensive isinglass is and how unnecessary it is in stout, I'd say all craft-brewed Irish stouts are made without isinglass.

So that's:
    Dungarvan Black Rock
    Porterhouse Plain
    Wrassler's XXXX
    Messrs Maguire Plain
    O'Hara's Stout
    O'Hara's Leann Folláin
    Franciscan Well Shandon
    College Green Molly's Chocolate Stout
    Whitewater Belfast Black
    Clanconnel McGrath's Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Black Rock Stout from the Dungarvan Brewing Company is what you are looking for. Unfiltered, unpasteurised, bottle conditioned beer made without the use of Isinglass.

From their website: "All our bottled range is vegan friendly."

Thanks for that, and it turns out a pub near to me stocks their stout according to that website (The Salt House, Galway).
    BeerNut wrote: »
    The Porterhouse beers are isinglass-free as well (though the Oyster is out for other reasons :)). In fact, given how expensive isinglass is and how unnecessary it is in stout, I'd say all craft-brewed Irish stouts are made without isinglass.

So that's:
    Dungarvan Black Rock
    Porterhouse Plain
    Wrassler's XXXX
    Messrs Maguire Plain
    O'Hara's Stout
    O'Hara's Leann Folláin
    Franciscan Well Shandon
    Whitewater Belfast Black

Thanks for the list, although O'Hara's do use isinglass. Rang them today.

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Any new vegetarian stouts to add to that list? Any know if Mi Daza (Cork craft stout) is vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Isinglass is not particularly popular. I would imagine the majority of micro brewed stouts don't use it, as there are cheaper/better/easier products available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ollaetta

To quote the old cliché, you learn something new every day! Lifelong stout drinker but never before heard of isinglass. Had to google it there for the full low down.

You could say there's bladders at both ends of the process, I guess. :)

ollaetta wrote: »
    Lifelong stout drinker but never before heard of isinglass.
    And this is why we need mandatory ingredients listing on beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And this is why we need mandatory ingredients listing on beers.

While I think it is madness that they are exempt from the law, you still possibly have the issue of it being in such small quantities that they might not have to declare it. You will see declarations of some ingredients which are only there in trace amounts, but it would typically only be allergens which must be legally declared, even in trace amounts.

I expect some veggies are not bothered by it, but vegans would be. Like some veggies might not be bothered with the use of animal/insect based colourings.

I also found an interesting reason why vegans might choose a drink with no hops
    rubadub wrote: »
    Does anybody go out of their way to avoid foods which involve higher than usual killing 'pests'?
    I saw this and was reminded of a post here before where I think somebody equated all life equally, even small insects.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_Defect_Action_Levels
    Hops Insects Average of more than 2,500 aphids per 10 grams
    I don't think it can be practically eliminated but could be reduced. e.g. looking online hops are added to beer at a rate of about 14–28 g per 19L batch. So about 0.8g used per pint, so up to 200 aphids just to make 1 pint of beer.

• Advertisement

you still possibly have the issue of it being in such small quantities that they might not have to declare it.
    True. It can be classed as a "process aid". Some breweries that list ingredients don't list yeast because their finished product doesn't contain any.
    I also found an interesting reason why vegans might choose a drink with no hops
    I made a fresh-hop ale a few years ago, with the hops picked and brewed on the same day. The label was inspired by what crawled out of my harvesting bowls:
    aphids_zps4d18b62a.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I took that to mean "extra protein". :P

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

So that's:
    Dungarvan Black Rock
    Porterhouse Plain
    Wrassler's XXXX
    Messrs Maguire Plain
    O'Hara's Stout
    O'Hara's Leann Folláin
    Franciscan Well Shandon
    Whitewater Belfast Black

I was just wondering how you know about the Porterhouse beers being vegan friendly?
    I've emailed twice with no reply so I asked when I was in there one day (the Parliament St one) and the guy behind the bar told me they use isinglass in pretty much everything they brew.
    I had a delerium tremens instead so there weren't any tears shed :D but I've avoided their beers since..

I was just wondering how you know about the Porterhouse beers being vegan friendly?

Conversation with Peter the brewer years and years ago. I recall him saying they don't do any filtering or fining on their stouts, because what's the point in a dark beer? Maybe it's changed, I dunno. I've certainly heard some odd things from Porterhouse bar staff over the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Conversation with Peter the brewer years and years ago. I recall him saying they don't do any filtering or fining on their stouts, because what's the point in a dark beer? Maybe it's changed, I dunno. I've certainly heard some odd things from Porterhouse bar staff over the years...

Hmmm so it sounds like none of them actually know, although I'd take the brewer's word over the bar man's.
    I'll try their Facebook and see what I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The PH make a big deal out of their ingredients and the lack of "extras" in their beers, or at least their marketing department do. They used to have big chalk boards in PH Temple Bar listing all the "extras" that the macros have compared to their Water/Barley/Hops/Yeast only beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The PH make a big deal out of their ingreIsinglass

nts and the lack of "extras" in their beers, or at least their marketing department do. They used to have big chalk boards in PH Temple Bar listing all the "extras" that the macros have compared to their Water/Barley/Hops/Yeast only beers.

Extras usual mean addition of mash and post
    fermentation enzymes. Isinglass has been in use before pure yeast culture, historicaly some form of animals protein has been added to beer to speed up clearning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oblivious wrote: »
    Extras usual mean addition of mash and post
    fermentation enzymes. Isinglass has been in use before pure yeast culture, historicaly some form of animals protein has been added to beer to speed up clearning

Extras can mean anything outside of the Reinheitsgebot, and in this case, as far as I can remember, this is what they meant. I can't find a picture online. I wonder if the sign is still up?

Also, brewers can use Irish Moss instead (I've used it and it's quite effective) to clear the beer while remaining vegetarian.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Extras can mean anything outside of the Reinheitsgebot, and in this case, as far as I can remember, this is what they meant. I can't find a picture online. I wonder if the sign is still up?

Also, brewers can use Irish Moss instead (I've used it and it's quite effective) to clear the beer while remaining vegetarian.

It was on their menu too, it mainly listed "chemicals", as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

So that's:
    Dungarvan Black Rock
    Porterhouse Plain
    Wrassler's XXXX
    Messrs Maguire Plain
    O'Hara's Stout
    O'Hara's Leann Folláin
    Franciscan Well Shandon
    Whitewater Belfast Black

Can't be forgetting Eight Degrees Knockmealdown Porter or Trouble Brewing Dark Arts. I'd imagine both of them are isinglass-free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement