Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ridley orion 2011

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I am thinking of buying a Ridley Orion 2011 but am not sure whether to go for the Campagnola Veloce or Shimano 105 option. Any thoughts and what would be a comparable bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Lots of carbon frames are comparable............I'm biased, so I'll let others comment more specifically. Its price is now reduced since I bought mine in September. I have the 105 version and have no complaints at all - I'm delighted with it. Its not the lightest carbon framed bike (and stem, bars etc are not carbon anyway) but is well under 10kg, very well made and looks great ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 trekman

thanks for that - i normally go for 80k trips. Some magazines have said that the ride is harsh. Would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

trekman wrote: »
    thanks for that - i normally go for 80k trips. Some magazines have said that the ride is harsh. Would you agree?

Hmm...........I've not a lot to compare it to. I've appreciated and benefitted on climbs from the rigidity, compared to the Specialized Allez I had previously. 60k spins are fine and thats about my regular limit at the moment. I'm not sure how the ride on comparable all-carbon frames will differ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

The Orion is aimed at the sports and leisure cyclist . The carbon frameset is designed to be more comfortable than a Ridley Damocles for example. I think the 105 option works best with this bike, like the look of the matt black finish on the frame too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

I have the same frameset with a different build up, and use it for racing. It's not the lighterst carbon frame around: oversized bottom breaket, head tube, and stays mean it's no lightweight, but is one of the stiffer carbon frames around, especially at the price. Because of the weight, it's no mountain goat, but the big chunky sections of carbon means it does accelerate very well and corners brilliantly, although the pay off is a slightly harsher ride than some carbon bikes with slimmer seat stays. Personally, I love mine, and have enjoyed racing on it very much. It's more comfortable for sportives and the like than my aluminium de rosa, but I can think of other bikes in the price range more geared towards all day comfort, such as:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31057

but this type of a machine wouldn't be as racy as the orion. What will you be using it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

how does the Orion compare with the Noah then?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

trekman wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a Ridley Orion 2011 but am not sure whether to go for the Campagnola Veloce or Shimano 105 option. Any thoughts and what would be a comparable bike?

I switched from Shimano Ultegra to Campagnolo Veloce (on a comparable bike - Ribble Sportive) last year and am glad I did, it's 100% reliable and the shifting just feels a lot smoother. Veloce 2010 is Ultrashift (same as all higher end Campagnolo groups) whereas Veloce 2011 has been downgraded somewhat. Check to see what version is on the bike before you buy.
    Both 105 and Veloce are available in matt black.

Possedion wrote: »
    how does the Orion compare with the Noah then?

Honestly, it doesn't: much heavier frame and less attention paid to the aerodynamics. Ridley put a huge amount of research into the Noah to make sure the strength/weight was as good as possible, and everything from the paint to the headtube has been refined to reduce drag. But look at the cost of the two bikes; I'm a student, can't be affording the likes of a Noah unfortunately!

Also, in the Veloce vs 105 debate, try both pick your favourite. For me, shimano hoods are more comfortable(controversial, I know!), shifters are more natural to use, but shifting does feel somewhat vague, wheras campy is very positive in the shifting. I have a mix of campy parts on the De Rosa, and Ultegra on the Ridley, both work, and the new 105 looks great and gets very good reviews.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Orion is a solid well built bike. A good few in our club ride them and I've heard no complaints at all.

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Orion is a solid well built bike. A good few in our club ride them and I've heard no complaints at all.

It's a lovely bike alright!

• Advertisement

I have one with Ultegra SL, very happy with it. Seems sturdy enough as well have crashed it twice while racing, once by going around a corner too fast, and the other was a big pile up in the crash fest that was stage 1 of Suir Valley 2010. Survived both with barely a scratch, which is more than can be said for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 trekman

Thanks everybody for all the advice - I think I will go with the Orion and try to have a look at the matt black version

Advertisement