Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slipping out of gear

Options
  • 12-01-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

hi lads noticed today that after about 1 km in a certain gear it slips out of gear and down to the next. any idea what this could be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 endamurtagh

Sounds like either one of the sprockets is worn, or the tension on the deraileur is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yeah, check your derailleur and if you don't find it there I'd say you should consider replacing your chain and possibly your cassette (depending on how long you've had them, how often you've cleaned them and the conditions they've endured).

It could be any one of a number of things OP. Have a look here for some gear adjustment advice. That entire site, www.sheldonbrown.com , is fantastic for bike maintenance tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's probably wear on a particularly popular sprocket you use but I have found in the past that a bit of good old fashioned lube can stop the slippage for little or no outlay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SnakePliskin

I am having trouble myself with gear slippage. Anybody recommend a place to set up the deraileur and gear index on a boardman team carbon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

There are things that anyone who owns a bike should be able to do themselves.

You don't go back to the shoe shop every time you need your laces tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

niceonetom wrote: »

Best. Analogy. Ever.

lucite.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SnakePliskin

I see your point although maybe a tad harsh. I was looking at a few videos/guides online but after an hour or two of adjustment im not sure if I have done more harm than good. I'm sure a lot of people would be unsure about setting about five/six adjustment screws, ensuring the wires and just tight enough etc. At this stage I would rather pay a professional to do the job or give me some guidance than waste too much more of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Well worth persisting with your adjustments, it gets easier the more often you do it. If your Boardman was set up correctly initially then you only need to worry about cable tension which in the above video starts at 6.00.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

niceonetom wrote: »

There are things that anyone who owns a bike should be able to do themselves.

Big thanks for that one NiceOneTom. Never thought to go to youtube for bike maintenance videos (doh!) and have been struggling with a front deraileur on on of my kids bikes for a while now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement