Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bit of Encouragement

Options
  • 12-01-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I was heading up Glenmacnass yesterday and there was a tour bus stopped with a big crowd milling about on the road. When I was about 100m away they spread back to both sides of the road and started cheering me on:rolleyes:. Dreamily, I imagined Contador and Schleck, 2 minutes down, fighting for second as I sailed proudly through to take the stage:). No, TBH, I was mortified and struggled past them with an idiotic red grin plastered to my face:o. They were Dutch, I think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was heading up Glenmacnass yesterday and there was a tour bus stopped with a big crowd milling about on the road. When I was about 100m away they spread back to both sides of the road and started cheering me on:rolleyes:. Dreamily, I imagined Contador and Schleck, 2 minutes down, fighting for second as I sailed proudly through to take the stage:). No, TBH, I was mortified and struggled past them with an idiotic red grin plastered to my face:o. They were Dutch, I think!

Brilliant! reminds me of this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOur8qXvpnk&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I love when that happens on the Conor Pass; you could be hanging off the bars and begging the road for mercy but come across a bunch of French tourists shouting 'Allez allez allez ' at you and from somewhere you get enough juice (and not from a gruber assist!) to get out of the saddle and speed around the next bend.... and, once out of sight of your impromptu supporters, you can resume eating the bar tape on the wat to the top...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

daragh_ wrote: »

Yeah, I'd seen that before. I was praying to God they hadn't:o - I wasn't in the mood to be mobbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Yeah, I'd seen that before. I was praying to God they hadn't:o - I wasn't in the mood to be mobbed!

The first time I went out on my roadbike (last march!) I made it as far as the Viewing Point with Unionman. Just as we got there, red faced and puffing, we met a bus load of American College students, all Female and all very attractive. They insisted on having their photos taken with us. Gave me entirely the wrong impression about this cycling lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

daragh_ wrote: »
    The first time I went out on my roadbike (last march!) I made it as far as the Viewing Point with Unionman. Just as we got there, red faced and puffing, we met a bus load of American College students, all Female and all very attractive. They insisted on having their photos taken with us. Gave me entirely the wrong impression about this cycling lark.

Myth busting huh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

CheGuedara wrote: »
    I love when that happens on the Conor Pass; you could be hanging off the bars and begging the road for mercy but come across a bunch of French tourists shouting 'Allez allez allez ' at you and from somewhere you get enough juice (and not from a gruber assist!) to get out of the saddle and speed around the next bend.... and, once out of sight of your impromptu supporters, you can resume eating the bar tape on the wat to the top...:D

wil be attempting the connor pass for the first time in 2011. My buddy tells me its hell.... but my date with destiny is set for 2011...

Advertisement