Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Access Query

Options
  • 12-01-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey People,

Haven't come up against this situation before, so looking for the best way to resolve

Story is I'm taking over a website for a client.
    The developer that designed the site previousily gave me very basic ftp access, then disappeared of the face of the planet

The owner of the business has been trying to get a hold of the developer for months now with no luck, so he can get the access to the Hosting control panel to pass to me.

The problem is now the email for the domain is not working and I need access to control panel to configure some applications and fix the mail etc..

What is the usual routine to get the hosting provider to give full access again to the business/site owner,
    Taking into account the owner of the business has no access or emails from registration, looks like it was all done by the developer

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

My experience has been as follows, your mileage may vary:

If the developer is paying the hosting bills on behalf of your client, then the hosting provider will look on the developer as the billpayer, and thus the owner of the account. Your client will need to make contact with the developer to get the ownership transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I can't speak for how other providers would handle things, but we will only deal with whoever is paying us. In this case it sounds like the developer.

In the case where the developer is genuinely AWOL ie. we can't contact them either, then we'd work with the client to move them to being a direct client (We've had plenty of situations where it has been claimed that the developer / designer is AWOL, but in reality it's been a business dispute between both parties)

ie. we have a duty unto our client which comes first, but ultimately we'll try to "do right" by the user of the domain / site etc

I can't speak for how other providers would handle things, but we will only deal with whoever is paying us. In this case it sounds like the developer.

My experience is that any reputable provider, In Ireland or abroad, will have the same policy. Your practice of applying common sense when a developer goes missing-in-action is laudable, and probably rare in the industry.

We've been completely stonewalled in this scenario before, and the client has lost out as a result. I think many providers are understandably worried about legal issues that might arise.

Advertisement