Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IS220D Head gasket

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a 2006 Lexus IS220D and am being told the head gasket is gone. Will cost about €2500 to fix. Anyone else have any trouble like this. I am hoping to get Lexus Ireland to cover the cost as there is only 80,000 on the clock.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If its out of warrenty then they will be unlikely to cover it. Its also likely that something else will have caused the head gasket to go such a water leak, failed water pump or maybe frozen water in the cold snap.

Its also likely that something else will have caused the head gasket to go such a water leak, failed water pump or maybe frozen water in the cold snap.

Most definitely. OP, do you know the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

EGR valves were troublesome in those 220d's, see if yours was ever done under warranty.....Lexus are usually pretty good about contribution.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It goes in most of them OP. There a badly made Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Same platform?:confused:

Speaking of a badly made Avensis, a D4D in our garage with an injector gone. Toyota charge €3000 for 4 injectors!!! We don't need four but sweet Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plug wrote: »
    Same platform?:confused:

Speaking of a badly made Avensis, a D4D in our garage with an injector gone. Toyota charge €3000 for 4 injectors!!! We don't need four but sweet Jesus!

All that the IS and Avensis share is the 2.2 litre D-4D engine and some switchgear. IS has a rwd platform, Avensis fwd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Apart from the engine(which very few avensis's have in Ireland) there is no other shared parts between the IS and the avensis.

Apart from the engine(which very few avensis's have in Ireland) there is no other shared parts between the IS and the avensis.

I know what I meant was the Lexus is a rich mans Avensis. I know two mates that had the 220 and the head gasket went. I dont know how they got on as the cars were out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I know what I meant was the Lexus is a rich mans Avensis.
    Nonsense. Thats the same as me saying your Passat is a rich mans Fabia.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Thats the same as me saying your Passat is a rich mans Fabia.

Would that not be Octavia..:p and I have a poor mans A4..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bannerlilly

I know what I meant was the Lexus is a rich mans Avensis. I know two mates that had the 220 and the head gasket went. I dont know how they got on as the cars were out of warranty.
    I've seen posts about them on an English site and Lexus contributed even though the car was out of warranty. My problem is that the car came in from the North so Lexus Ireland don't want to contribute. I was thinking of chasing up Lexus GB. At €2500 to repair, I've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

I've seen posts about them on an English site and Lexus contributed even though the car was out of warranty. My problem is that the car came in from the North so Lexus Ireland don't want to contribute. I was thinking of chasing up Lexus GB. At €2500 to repair, I've nothing to lose.

Yes it seems possible (going by the UK forums) that you'll atleast get a contribution to the cost but (I believe) that's dependent on a full service history with a Lexus main dealer.

To easy your pain alittle I'd be able to do your head gasket for a fair bit less than the €2500 you mentioned:)

Would that not be Octavia..:p and I have a poor mans A4..
    No, like I said, Fabia. Reason? Fabia is a completely different platform and class to the Passat. Avensis is completely different platform and class to the Lexus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

It's probably 10 years since I've had to get a head gasket done on any car but is two and a half grand not a bit excessive? it's not that big a job to get a head skimmed and a gasket replaced. Does the head itself need to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Avensis is completely different platform and class to the Lexus.

Apart from the engine. You know, the bit with the head gasket that actually failed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

A competant independant mechanic would be well able to sort this for far less than 2.5k. Lexus's contribution will probably just cover parts and you'll pay the labour. Changing a Head Gasket is about 90% labour unless they are charging for a new cylinder head (which would be unnecessary).

Do a search to see if there is an uprated head gasket that you can use to prevent a recurrance. Also if taking off the head it might be prudent to do the timing belt and tensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bannerlilly

I went back to the garage in Belfast and they are applying for it to be done under goodwill with Lexus GB. They seem positive, fingers crossed. Any idea how much it would cost to get a car from Galway to Belfast??

Apart from the engine. You know, the bit with the head gasket that actually failed here?
    Yes, I know the engine. What's your point? Or do you just like to cause trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What's your point?

Corkie said the Lexus is a badly made Avensis, and you (and other posters) jumped on him, saying it's an entirely different car. But it isn't. The part of the OPs car which failed is the engine, and its the same engine as the Avensis.

So when you go googling for "Lexus diesel head gasket failure", you should try "Avensis diesel head gasket failure" too, and you'd learn that Toyota UK will give consideration to helping fix any Avensis with less than 5 years and 160K on the clock:

"Toyota Does not have an official warranty extension in place for head gaskets. However, as a responsible manufacturer, and to assist our customers we may, subject to appropriate diagnosis, consider covering the repairs as a result of head gasket failure as long as the vehicle is less than 5 years old and has covered less than 99,419 miles (which ever comes sooner.)"

Corkie said the Lexus is a badly made Avensis, and you (and other posters) jumped on him, saying it's an entirely different car. But it isn't. The part of the OPs car which failed is the engine, and its the same engine as the Avensis.

So when you go googling for "Lexus diesel head gasket failure", you should try "Avensis diesel head gasket failure" too, and you'd learn that Toyota UK will give consideration to helping fix any Avensis with less than 5 years and 160K on the clock:

"Toyota Does not have an official warranty extension in place for head gaskets. However, as a responsible manufacturer, and to assist our customers we may, subject to appropriate diagnosis, consider covering the repairs as a result of head gasket failure as long as the vehicle is less than 5 years old and has covered less than 99,419 miles (which ever comes sooner.)"

Yes, same engine, different car. Whats so difficult to understand? An Opel Vivaro van has the same engine as a Saab 9-3. Are they the same cars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Yes, same engine, different car. Whats so difficult to understand? An Opel Vivaro van has the same engine as a Saab 9-3. Are they the same cars?

I think Zubeneschamali is actually trying to help you here with his last post so maybe you should ease up a little, as he says, Toyota are willing to take care of the same engine in an Avensis so why shouldn't Toyota Ireland do the same for you with your Lexus? Might save you trying to transport car to Belfast.

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    I think Zubeneschamali is actually trying to help you here with his last post so maybe you should ease up a little, as he says, Toyota are willing to take care of the same engine in an Avensis so why shouldn't Toyota Ireland do the same for you with your Lexus? Might save you trying to transport car to Belfast.
    It's not me that has the OP, so he's not trying to help me. I was pointing out to another poster the error in his assumption, Zubeneschamali butted in as seems to be par for the course for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i would shop around if they dont fix it for you. the head gasket went in my MG TF and the cheapest quote i got in dublin was €1500 from Ryans in blanchardstown. I ended up going up north and got it done for £350 this included a new oil rail, pumb and timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

£350 for a head gasket job, oil rail, oil pump, timing belt kit and labour? Jesus that's one of the cheapest jobs I've heard of. What car is it?

Advertisement