Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin early house

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just looking for an early house in the city center. A lot of them seem to have closed and the last thread on the subject is over a year old so thought I might start another one.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I think they went the way of 'after 10p.m. off licences', with the reform of the licensing system a couple of years back.

Open to correction on this however.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

enda1 wrote: »
    Open to correction on this however.
    I correct you. They didn't.

OP, take a walk down Capel Street. I think a few of the pubs down there have early licences. The Windjammer off Pearse Street does too, or certainly used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/early-houses-saved-as-ahern-yields-to-publican-pressure-1420647.html

Yeah seems you're right. But no more can open so if they go, they're gone for good. Until Ireland fixes its draconian alcohol related laws of course. Enjoy the early pins op, if you can fnd them. Seems killybeggs is your best bet though, or try the ones as beernut mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just be careful that whatever is listed by posters here as being an earlyhouse, chances are they won't be opened on a Sunday morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nowhere is allowed to open on a Sunday or St Patrick's Day morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was only in an early house once, was seriously depressing, full of alcho's including a guy who had shi*ted himself at the bar, never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Was only in an early house once, was seriously depressing, full of alcho's including a guy who had shi*ted himself at the bar, never again!

Name and shame, so we can avoid!

As far as I know they were never open on sundays. The reason I asked for a few recomendations was the last time I looked (abut 2 years ago) a lot of the one's I remembered were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Can't remember name and exact location, but it was on the northside quays as far as I can remember, this was around 1997, heard other horror stories as obviously these places attract desperate alcoholic types, not many respectable people want a drink at 8am, think we went their after a lock in in a restaurant on the south quays thats gone now, was one of my mates ideas, we stayed around 20 minutes .

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

The Chancery on the Quays by the Four Courts, Molloys on Talbot Street. There is also one up on Sean Mc Dermot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

enda1 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/early-houses-saved-as-ahern-yields-to-publican-pressure-1420647.html

Yeah seems you're right. But no more can open so if they go, they're gone for good. Until Ireland fixes its draconian alcohol related laws of course. Enjoy the early pins op, if you can fnd them. Seems killybeggs is your best bet though, or try the ones as beernut mentioned.

You have read it wrong - the early license is transferable. New ones can not be issued though. There is one in Cork for sale, specifically mentions that it is an early license.

Many years ago I used to frequent early houses - many a strange person to spotted and chatted to. Interesting chaps and ladies around drinking at 7.30am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Slattery's on Capel Street I think.

Seemed like a decent spot last time I was there (not at 7am)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

The White horse inn burgh quay
    Windjammer on lombard/townsend st

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I've only ever been to a few early houses and there's definitely a time and a place for them. It's a totally different experience and I've thankfully never ended up in one of the really rough ones.

The White Horse is now the Dark Horse and no longer an early house as far as I know.

The last time I was in Molloys it was knock on the door and hope the barman likes the look of you. Which with the aid of a regular out for a smoke, he did.

Never liked the Windjammer at normal times, so wouldn't be too keen in the am. Ned's might be a runner, or maybe the old reliable Slatterys

Advertisement