Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JEB Teachers Diploma in ICT

Options
  • 12-01-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm an IT professional and would like to switch my career and become an ICT teacher at secondary level school.

I found the course to gain the 'JEB Teachers Diploma in ICT (from EDI)' which says "... to teach at school, college..." and would like to know if it is worth to attend such a course.
    It's not recognised by the Teaching Council, but as I've no experience in teaching I'd take any opportunity to learn basics in the shortest possible period.

What are your experiences? Did this diploma help anyone to get recognised as a teacher and get a job in education sector in the end?

Cheers!
    DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

To teach in a secondary school you need a degree in the subject you want to teach and a PGDE. However, you will not get a job as an ICT teacher in schools. ICT is a filler subject that is given to teachers currently teaching in the school. I don't know what that Diploma in ICT would qualify you to do but if I were you I would forget about wanting to become an ICT teacher at second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

From what I've seen of the JEB 'teaching practice' I wouldn't say it's worth the paper it's written on.

Think it involves night class one or two nights a week for 30 sessions. Plenty of lesson plans. Guy did his practice in my school a couple of years ago and gave me a form to fill in at the end of his first double class teaching spreadsheets. I asked him if a supervisor would be coming to visit and he said no. I had to go through a big long list of teaching skills and rate him between 1 and 5 and then I think I had to fill in a few other bits and bobs and that was his assessment. Widely open to corruption.

It is a requirement if you want to teach for FAS however.

Again to echo above, there are no jobs in IT in secondary schools, it's a filler subject on the timetable with most classes going to maths/science/business teachers who have a bit of computing experience or knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 deyobeyo

To teach in a secondary school you need a degree in the subject you want to teach and a PGDE.

Just info - ICT degree (among some others) can be registered without PGDE.
    There is a list of degrees automatically recognised by the Teaching Council.
    However, you will not get a job as an ICT teacher in schools. ICT is a filler subject that is given to teachers currently teaching in the school. I don't know what that Diploma in ICT would qualify you to do but if I were you I would forget about wanting to become an ICT teacher at second level.

This sounds very badly :(

So the only way for a poor IT guy would be to start from the beginning, with maths, business or whatever? Uffff

From what I've seen of the JEB 'teaching practice' I wouldn't say it's worth the paper it's written on.

I also doubted I'd gain anything with it.
    It is a requirement if you want to teach for FAS however.

?
    Again to echo above, there are no jobs in IT in secondary schools, it's a filler subject on the timetable with most classes going to maths/science/business teachers who have a bit of computing experience or knowledge.

That's a pitty, indeed :(

And the other way doesn't work as well I guess - teaching maths with IT degree and very good background in maths, without maths degree?

If I understand well - ICT degree allows one to register for teaching ICT only (what can be done without PGDE), while H.Dip. in Edu (PGDE) would allow teaching anything, but again primary degree is necessary, so back to maths idea - I'd be again in the same position with IT degree!?

OK, I can see from other threads it's a very difficult situation in education. And with ICT as a filler subject I'm afraid there's obviously zero space to hope...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

deyobeyo wrote: »

If I understand well - ICT degree allows one to register for teaching ICT only (what can be done without PGDE), while H.Dip. in Edu (PGDE) would allow teaching anything, but again primary degree is necessary, so back to maths idea - I'd be again in the same position with IT degree!?

Hold on, I think there is some confusion here.
    You would still need the PGDE, if you ever plan to be a teacher. I think what the above poster meant is that you have done your PGDE in say, English and Irish, but also have a computers degree and would like to be an ICT teacher, then you do not have to go back and do the PGDE again in ICT.

Doing the PGDE does not allow you to teach anything, it allows you to teach what you have a degree in.

Best bet is to find a country that takes ICT seriously. Is it an A Level subject? Could you teach it up north?
    Could you figure out how to be qualified enough to teach adults at PLC colleges or something?

dory wrote: »
    Could you figure out how to be qualified enough to teach adults at PLC colleges or something?

That's a good point. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Instead of posting a new thread I said I would tag it on to the end of this. I am aware that the Teachers Diploma in ICT (formerly the EJB) is not sufficient to teach in a secondary school but I want to know is it an appropriate qualification to apply for a job as an IT trainer? I.e for IT training companies like sureskills and IACT?
    Because when these companies advertise these jobs they say "an appropriate training qualification is required". But they don't say what this is.
    Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement