Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andoid phone for 12 year old boy

Options
  • 12-01-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an Android fan and have a Samsung Galaxy which I've rooted and generally tweaked to do what I want ot to do so am very familiar with the Android system.

My 12 year old son is due an upgrade on his phone (currently a Samsung B3310) and wants an Android phone so I'm looking for some advice on what phone to get him and any tips on tweaking it so the content he accesses via the browser is as safe as possible.

My thoughts are either a SAMSUNG i5500 GALAXY EUROPA (Free on eMobile €19.00 P/M Bill Pay for 12 months) or a HTC Wildfire (€39.00 on eMobile €19.00 P/M Bill Pay for 12 months) both with free landline calls.

Any thoughts on the two phones, the offer from eMobile and in particular what I can do to the built in browser to filter in appropriate content as much as possible? I'm network/provider agnostic but cannot go with o2 as they don't have a signal at our house :-(

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

First phone I thought of when I read the title was the Europa... But if you're looking to tweak it - maybe the Wildfire has more dev support. Well atleast on XDA. So if you're looking for custom ROM's etc. on it then go for the Wildfire. Specs or nothing don't matter do they? Seen as it's only for a child. Considered the SE X8 or LG Optimus at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

First of all getting an Android phone on bill pay for a 12 year old is a bad idea, there will be data charges to the eyeballs, also your not going to find any tweaks that block websites and such AFAIK im afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Luke. The SE X8 is "too girlie" apparently and whilst I personally would prefer the X10 mini pro (if I was 12) it's too bloody expensive so he's not getting that!! The LG loks too big and TBH I don't have a good feeling for them. I'm inclined to stick with Samsung, HTC, SE or possibly Motorola in the future.

Gooch, I hear ya re data charges and content. He's 12 and has access to friends phones, online PC's and laptops etc (not unrestricted) so I know if he wants to find something out he will and so will his mates. Education and trust are, in reality, the best gatekeepers IMHO but I will try and fulfil my fatherly duty by at least trying to keep it as safe as possible!!

I might also disable 3G and only enable wi-fi so he can download apps/games etc. It's either that or another €10 a month for 1GB which makes it €30 a month or €360 a year :eek:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

HTC legend. Similar to wildfire but with capacitive screen & it looks great and has fantastic build quality.

The X8 could actually be abit 'girly' in all fairness ha ha. It comes with a pink back-cover ha ha. I'd say your best bet is to go with the Europa then. He most probably won't notice the difference between that and the Wildfire and it keeps a little bit of money in the pocket. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Bluefoam wrote: »
    HTC legend. Similar to wildfire but with capacitive screen & it looks great and has fantastic build quality.

Not alot of Devs compared to the Wildfire, but it is a good phone, +1 on the build quality! BUT.... Orange Better San Francisco: £109, compatible with more apps, bigger screen, and of course MoCaDo backing it with ROMS (and the froyo update;) You Can Unlock it Here & The Review!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

LukeS quote:The X8 could actually be abit 'girly' in all fairness unquote.

I got the X8, but it didn't come with a pink back cover, just a white and a silver with white one.

My daughter is going on 11 and I ended up buying her the vodafone VF845JOY and for her its fine, although im having problems getting the music on to the mp3 side of it!!

I have the X8 as I said and I love it. Both phones very similar using android. Good luck in your decision.

mumof2 wrote: »
    LukeS quote:The X8 could actually be abit 'girly' in all fairness unquote.

I got the X8, but it didn't come with a pink back cover, just a white and a silver with white one.

It must depend on the carrier then, my brother got one on Meteor and it came with like a white fading to pink and a full White one. He uses the pink one. Not too sure about my brother though...:eek: :p

Thanks all,

The Europa seems to fit the bill best. It's well built and rugged, has a similar inplementation of Android to my Samsung Galaxy (will help me set it up and keep tabs on him!!) and it's a nice size. Big enough to not be forgotten but not too big to lug around his neck on a lanyard and good value for money.

The vodafone VF845JOY does look like an interesting alternative. I checked it out on their website and the user reviews are very strong. Those that have them love them. I've always stayed away from VF branded devices as I always thought they were a bit "yellow pack" i.e. cheap generic copies of other devices which the manufacturers wouldn't put their own name to but the VF845JOY does look like a good alternative. Anyone got any direct comparisons or experience with both?

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks all,

The Europa seems to fit the bill best. It's well built and rugged, has a similar inplementation of Android to my Samsung Galaxy (will help me set it up and keep tabs on him!!) and it's a nice size. Big enough to not be forgotten but not too big to lug around his neck on a lanyard and good value for money.

The vodafone VF845JOY does look like an interesting alternative. I checked it out on their website and the user reviews are very strong. Those that have them love them. I've always stayed away from VF branded devices as I always thought they were a bit "yellow pack" i.e. cheap generic copies of other devices which the manufacturers wouldn't put their own name to but the VF845JOY does look like a good alternative. Anyone got any direct comparisons or experience with both?

Ben

As I said I got it for my daughter, but I have to be honest and say that originally I bought 2 of them so one for me as well, but on messing with hers decided it wasn't for me - reasons being
    I too didn't like the Vodafone brand as I had forgotten a horrible texting experience years ago, but that wasn't a touch phone either
    I didn't like the plain black phone, as I had the Samsung Tocco lite in black already
    I had difficulty with getting music on her phone and it had trouble syncing with the computer - although the guy in Vodafone said all I had to do was remove the battery and let the phone reset itself and it would be fine. Havn't tried since tbh.

I ended up bringing back my one still in packaging unopened and they swapped it for the X8 which im delighted with.

The shop told me first day though, that both phones are practically the same. in fact the vodafone O.S was better than the Xperia!!!!

Hope this helps, sorry I went on!:D

• Advertisement

mumof2 wrote: »
    although the guy

The shop told me first day though, that both phones are practically the same. in fact the vodafone O.S was better than the Xperia!!!!

Hope this helps, sorry I went on!:D

'Vodafone OS' is better than Android? I think he's just inclined on saying that as he works for Vodafone! :D

Just go and get the Europa Ben! :p

LukeS_ wrote: »
    'Vodafone OS' is better than Android? I think he's just inclined on saying that as he works for Vodafone! :D

Agree wholeheartedly!!:D:D They always stick to their own don't they!!

Checking the online reviews from people who actually own one is a big help in the deciding factor I would think. Again, good luck.

LukeS_ wrote: »

Agree wholeheartedly!!:D:D They always stick to their own don't they!!

Checking the online reviews from people who actually own one is a big help in the deciding factor I would think. Again, good luck, hope your son wil enjoy whatever phone you get him!!

I think Europa it will be!!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

I strongly recommend you the LG GT540 Optimus over the Samsung Europa. I have both and the Screen (although it is resistive) and the camera are much better in the LG. The only thing that you have to do is to update Android to 2.1. It's very easy, it takes 5 minutes.

Hi Living,

Thanks for the strong recommendation.

I've compared the LG GT540 with the Samsung Europa on http://www.gsmarena.com and although the LG has marginally better specs (faster processor, better camers etc) it's also bigger and heavier and (don't shoot me for this) looks like a bit like an old Volvo i.e. "Boxy but good"!! It definetly won't pass the 10 year old "Cool" test :D

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Wouldn't the LG have a better list of working apps due to the screen size ?
    And the ability to upgrade to 2.2.1.
    I had the LG and was my first android phone and I loved it.
    Better than what I've read of the europa and a better dev scene I'd say.

Ste, you're probably right and if the phone was for myself I'd definetly place more weight on functionality and upgradeability/modability but it's for a 12 year old so is never going to be stretched to it's limit. Form and style are weighted heavily in the case of this purchase!!

Ben

Advertisement