Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SelectList styling

Options
  • 12-01-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello,
    is this possible to style HTML SelctList using CSS like the attached sample.attachment.php?attachmentid=142997&stc=1&d=1294842109

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JQuery is the way to go I think - check out these examples:
    http://jquery-ui.googlecode.com/svn/branches/labs/selectmenu/index.html

Eoin wrote: »
    JQuery is the way to go I think - check out these examples:
    http://jquery-ui.googlecode.com/svn/branches/labs/selectmenu/index.html

+1
    And I wouldn't worry too much about the small group of folks who block javascript on their browsers. jQuery is so ubiquitous now that anyone who chooses to disable javascript will expect the internet to look a little shabbier, and some websites to not work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

+1
    And I wouldn't worry too much about the small group of folks who block javascript on their browsers. jQuery is so ubiquitous now that anyone who chooses to disable javascript will expect the internet to look a little shabbier, and some websites to not work at all.

It's not just users who have JavaScript turned off who won't be able to use it, low vision/blind users who use screen readers probably won't 'see' it either, for the sake of a bit of styling you're excluding about 5% (rough estimate of the size of those two groups) of your potential market. That's not a criticism just a consideration - if accessibility isn't a concern ignore it.

They do support <label> and tabbing though which is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is just styling a standard HTML element; it's not replacing it - so I would expect that a screen reader or browser with scripting turned off would just render the dropdown list as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Eoin wrote: »
    This is just styling a standard HTML element; it's not replacing it - so I would expect that a screen reader or browser with scripting turned off would just render the dropdown list as normal.

Indeed it is. I only looked at the code briefly using Firebug, apologies, ignore my earlier post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 team eGlobe

Thanks guys for the direction.JQuery is the way to go

Advertisement