Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soundproof rooms for rent in Cork city

Options
  • 12-01-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi, I don't want to rent a studio and get a sound engineer included.
    I have all the gear and the sound engineer, but I'm looking for the location. I was going to record it in an acoustic setting but I've decided to go for an acoustically treated room, so does anyone know of anywhere or anyone who just caters for that??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

droffats wrote: »
    Hi, I don't want to rent a studio and get a sound engineer included.
    I have all the gear and the sound engineer, but I'm looking for the location. I was going to record it in an acoustic setting but I've decided to go for an acoustically treated room, so does anyone know of anywhere or anyone who just caters for that??

if you rent a studio you dont need to hire an engineer, the house engineer usually comes included in the price.

ive never heard of an acoustically treated room for rent.

you could get a rehearsal space which is sound proofed but sound proofing is not acoustic treatment and wont provide even a hint of the result acoustic treatment does.

if i was you (especially for an acoustic recording) i'd look at renting an old high ceiling house for a weekend and just move your gear in. while it might not be treated, with a few well placed mattresses/objects it will provide you with better results than a crappy rehearsal room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Droffats ,

What you describe is quite a common thing in London, less so here.

The Factory Rehearsal rooms used to have rooms like that too (I used to be a tenant!) Our own Studio Rat runs a similar facility in Dublin

There's talk of something similar in Limerick.

They're known as 'White Rooms' which are effectively empty studios that are booked longish term (say 3 months or more)

Strongroom and Air in London are two I know of.

It's a concept that I think could work here ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

PaulBrewer wrote: »

It's a concept that I think could work here ....

It sounds like a good idea. I would imagine the rig - the rig that engineers actually use - is quite small these days - small enough to be mobile.

Or even for people who've got a grasp of their own DAWs and want rooms to get good takes in.

Question: Are acoustically treated rooms completely dead or is there ambience to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

krd wrote: »

Question: Are acoustically treated rooms completely dead or is there ambience to them?

the best treated rooms are quite ambient but its a lot more controlled.

we have quite a dead room at our place due to its build but we have a quadratic diffusor installed and placing a vocal or acoustic in front of it can really bring the room-iness together. after that a little help from altiverb does the job ;)

i really like the idea of renting an old house with high celings for a session. rent out some cracking hardware and go record something real. i can imagine the musicians being a hell of a lot more comfortable than they usually are behind the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

krd wrote: »

Can be both really - designers like Philip Newell build very dead control rooms, too dead to my ears.

Munro Acoustics, with whom we work, spec a liver space, how live is a product of it's size.
    Therefore they have an optimal size 'limit' in their designs - if a control room needs to have X Reverb time it can't be bigger than Y m2 as the 2 are tightly related.

A good control room, in my opinion, shouldn't have a 'sound' per se - it should be neutral and feel natural.

There are of course many opposing views !

• Advertisement
Advertisement