Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software engineering in the Finance sector

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm looking for jobs in London at the moment and would like to hear from people working in the finance sector there, in particular working in software. Just interested in general stuff like what the working hours/conditions are like, work-related social stuff, etc. I know it'll differ from company to company but even anecdotes would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Finance IT in London can pay very very well depending on how good you are and if you are a contractor etc. Hours are very dependent on the organisation you work for but in IT I generally think its fairly good .. 8:30 to 5:30 more or less. London Social life is awesome but can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I'm a contractor for a hedgefund but I mostly work from home (dublin) :) Lots of business trips to London tho, I was in middle of riots there in December! Contracting through your own Irish company is the way to go, you can place yourself on "secondment" for up to 2 years and not pay UK tax if moving over for longer than 6 months. I do c++/c# quant stuff and am also the tech support monkey for senior quants in america it seems >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

There is a lot of recruitment going on in the financial sector. Im about to leave the FSA for another job with an investment management company. The FSA has been heavily recruiting and will continue to after its split. Noticeable increase in Irish across the organisation too in a variety of roles. FSA have great range of benefits including gym, flexible working, up to 38 days holiday etc, whereas the new role Ive taken elsewhere pays me 50% more money but im sure will have me working longer hours. So just depends on what is important to you. I was just sent a role with Barclays (who have been heavily recruiting) and i must say the package they were offering with the role was great, but i had already accepted my new job.

Advertisement