Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How deep down does the subconscious mind go?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I have seen the iceberg model. Our conscious minds certainly don't make up most of our persona.

If a person tries to get more confidence for example, and a belief is seeded somewhere in the subconscious, how long would it take to weed it out? I think affirmations would do the job if you use them a lot ie 1000+ times a day, make them a part of you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

CorkMan wrote: »
    I have seen the iceberg model. Our conscious minds certainly don't make up most of our persona.

If a person tries to get more confidence for example, and a belief is seeded somewhere in the subconscious, how long would it take to weed it out? I think affirmations would do the job if you use them a lot ie 1000+ times a day, make them a part of you.

What is your definition of the term subconscious? It is often associated with psychoanalysis; however in the 24 volumes of Freud’s work he mentioned the term at the max 3 times, we use the term pre-conscious.

It is one of those terms that are very much undefined, which is why I'm asking you where you are picking up the word from, in order to try answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

How deep is the subconscious? about 6" :rolleyes: The question doesn't make sense. It is a hypothesised construct, not the hypothamus.

Do affirmations work? I'd be astonished to hear any evidence to say that's the case.

Self-confidence also can be a lot of different things. People can be very confident in their job (eg electrician) and unconfident in interactions with people. So you'd need to narrow it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Subconscious as in where your dreams happen, that is my limited view of the matter.

Where all of your memories are stored, and you can't access them directly, where your views of the world are held.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I think hes referring to the unconscious mind :)

Only yanks refer to it as the subconscious i believe..

nix wrote: »

Yes

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »

No the term is used a lot by different modalities, Jungians for example. However, it does seem that the poster is asking about the unconscious.

Subconscious as in where your dreams happen, that is my limited view of the matter.

Where all of your memories are stored, and you can't access them directly, where your views of the world are held.

Dreams do not necessarily belong to the system unconscious; they are a manifestation of your unconscious from a psychoanalytic viewpoint. There is a system of censorship which allows the unconscious thought to be seen in the dream, though a process of displacement e.g. one thing standing in place for another, or condensation one aspect of the dream meaning different things.

Freud used many terms to describe dreams, as a rebus or the most famous "the royal road to the unconscious". The unconscious is a mass of drives seeking satisfaction, which maybe totally against the persons conscious belief system, there are no contradictions there you can have thoughts of loving and hating the same person which would not happen in the conscious mind, as it would cause a conflict.

There is a difference between unconscious thoughts and the unconscious as a system. There are some things that will never become conscious no matter how much analysis you have.

Can you clarify your question a bit more, it is very vague.

If you are interested get on to Amazon there is a series of books under the name Ideas in Psychoanalysis. One of them is called The Unconscious by Phil Mollon, they are only small pocket sized books and easy to read. The above one is very well written and is quite cheap. It will give you a good understanding of the unconscious from a psychoanalytic viewpoint.

I suppose the question was just about the unconscious, how a persons beliefs are embeeded in the unconscious.

Like if a person is put down a lot in childhood, as an adult you mightn't even be aware of the bad stuff you are telling yourself.

I suppose the question was just about the unconscious, how a persons beliefs are embeeded in the unconscious.

Like if a person is put down a lot in childhood, as an adult you mightn't even be aware of the bad stuff you are telling yourself.

Well in that case it goes a lot depper than that, Freud is often described as discovering one of three main finding in history.

1.That the earth is not flat.
    2. The the earth revolves around the sun.3.
    3. We are not masters in our own house.

That is every thing we do is driven by the unconscious, but we are not aware of it, or the various identifications that make us who we are.

Is everything we do really driven by our unconscious?

• Advertisement

Is everything we do really driven by our unconscious?

It depends upon whethere you believe in the concept, but from a psychoanalytic viewpoint yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Odysseus wrote: »
    Well in that case it goes a lot depper than that, Freud is often described as discovering one of three main finding in history.

1.That the earth is not flat.
    2. The the earth revolves around the sun.3.
    3. We are not masters in our own house.

That is every thing we do is driven by the unconscious, but we are not aware of it, or the various identifications that make us who we are.

Is it not Darwin's evolutionary theory rather than the earth not being flat as one of the three blows to our "naive self-love" along with Copernicus and Freud's theories which Freud claimed?

hotspur wrote: »
    Is it not Darwin's evolutionary theory rather than the earth not being flat as one of the three blows to our "naive self-love" along with Copernicus and Freud's theories which Freud claimed?

You are of course correct Hotspur. Thanks for picking up on that parapraxsis:)

Advertisement