Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguards for Trek 1.2??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Most likely. Pick the ones which most resemble your current tyre size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yeah it was the 23-> 32 mm i was worrying would they be too wide...anyways they are orderd now so ill soon find out!!
    Thanks,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need the 18-23s for a Trek.

I don't think it's a major problem though - the guards don't actually go between the tyre & the frame. 23-32's might just look a bit big, but they should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I have full mudguards on my Trek 1.5.
    Similar to these babys
    It's the reason I bought it over a Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

That bike has eyelets and presumably clearance for real mudguards such as these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25794

These will be far more stable and far more effective than the Raceguard ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Clearance on the trek forks is very tight, barely enough room for crud roadracer guards.

If you were going to fit permanent guards, I'd bring it to an LBS to make sure you get one that'll fit.

FWIW, I've been using raceblades for ages now and I've no problems with effectiveness or stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade-clip-on-mudguard-set/

I ordered these as they are light and don't 'show' too much

They arrived yesterday afternoon...less than 24 hours after i ordered them!!!

They fit just fine...(they dont go through the frame...but if they did need to i still think they would fit as there is enough space widthways)

Cheers,
    Marty

You are supposed to leave 1 cm gap between the guards and the top of the front fork and the back break for the back one. Fitted mine yesterday and with a bit of adjustment by sliding the guards inside their bridges and bending the bottom rail they look ok. Try out on Sunday morning cycling from Callan to Brandon hill and back. Hoping they don't rattle

Sort of spoil the look a bit but will save the wet back issue when I have to sit down for lunch with the family half way.
    picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=8450
    picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=8449
    picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=8448
    picture.php?albumid=1534&pictureid=8447

I'm going to experiment with taking the flaps off the bottom too.

They look good Ashley mine don't have the flared piece yours have at the back of each guard.
    Mine are in silver. Yours sks too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

They're very good guards, I've had a set for almost a year now, no issues. Shouldn't be much of an issue with rattle, although I get a bit of tyre rub on my taining bike when out of the saddle, but that's down to wheel flex as opposed to the mudguards! They don't protect the brake pivot, which is their big black mark, but sure I have to clean that on my other, sans mudguard bike. I've a set for both of my non-race road bikes.

I went for black and they are sks raceblades from wiggle, as I was hoping they wouldn't show too much but it's unlikely. I still feel like an imposter using them seeing as I spend the rest of my time trying to take things off my bikes. The flared bits came in the pack but I'll hopefully be able to do without. Roll on the sunny weather.

Advertisement