Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of a Hyundai i30

Options
  • 12-01-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anyone has any opinion on the Hyundai i30 diesel?

Thinking of getting a new one under scrappage for a 01 Corolla.

The scrappage price of the i30 diesel is about 16.5k and 17k for the estate with a 5 yr warranty. Long warranty is important since we intend to keep the car for 10 yrs.

Quite a lot of kit for the money except Bluetooth. Also the i30 is rumoured to drive almost as good as the Focus / Golf.

What do you guys think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Really good car, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If a long warranty is important then look at the Kia Cee'd too, it's basically the same car as the i30 underneth and comes with a 7 year warranty.

While the KIA warranty is longer, the Hyundai is unlimited mileage and not as strict as the Kia one which needs servicing in main dealer and inspections etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 simonc_thunderb

Had the same thought and visited two KIA dealers before and after Christmas.

The 2010 Ceed actually seemed OK, but my Corolla wouldn't qualify for scrappage last year, and the trade in price was not great.

So looked at KIA again last weekend, and the 2011 Ceed has lower equipment than the 2010, which was very disappointing.

Furthermore the scrappage price of the Ceed is 17.8k, which is 1.2k more than the i30 with less equipment, and I thought KIA is the value brand???

Another important consideration is the rear leg room (for the kids), and there does not seem to be many other cars on the market that has equal leg room to the i30 / Ceed in the same C-segment.

We have compared the rear leg room of the Focus, Mazda 3, and Auris. None is better. The new corolla is about the same, but we would rather have a hatch than a saloon.

Also our 01 Corolla is not holding up well, so much for Toyota reliability. My micras held up much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

I'd sooner keep a 10 year old Corolla than have a new Hyundai, maybe the i30 is a good car, I have to admit ignorance and say I don't know much about that particular model, but I bought a Coupe a few years back, it was 3 yrs old, the 3yr warranty that it would have had from new was just up and the trouble I had with that car would fill a book. The last straw was one of the indicators going on the blink (;)) and the whole loom had to be replaced, so basically a faulty indicator cost over e1000 to fix :eek:
    Everything that went wrong with that car cost a fortune to fix no matter what it was or who done it.
    I've known 3 people who had the Hyundai Tradjet, every one of them broken hearted over the trouble it gave them. Apparently they are affectionately known in the trade as the Hyundai Trajedy :D
    A friend had the Accent and it too gave her a load of trouble.
    Like I said, I don't know much about the i30 but man, I would be seriously wary of anything with a Hyundai badge, it was to date, the biggest ball of sh!te of a car I ever owned.

• Advertisement

You need to check legroom properly The auris has way better leg room than the corolla. You need to properly position the drivers seat first, drive it, then get into the back. For example the auris has a really low floor in the back which gives more legroom.

I've had both as company cars.

Thanks for the info.

I sat in both the Auris and Corolla a couple of weeks ago behind the driver seat, with the driver seat adjusted to my driving position. I have long legs and so if I can fit in the rear seats, the kids would be OK.

We have done the same exercise also with the Focus, Mazda3, Civic, Juke, Qasqhuai.

The Toyotas are OK, but not exceptional. I think the Corolla has a little bit more room, maybe an extra cm, than the Auris. The Corolla is on par with the i30 / Ceed, but costs 2.5k more on similar kit with a shorter warranty.

Also the problems we have had with Toyota make me think twice before buying them again. Broken Radio, coil packs, burning oil with soot in the tailpipe, shocks, broken plastic trims, struts holding up the tail gate, etc.

Thanks Enol.

I have heard the stories about the Trajet and Accent, and certainly wouldn't touch older Hyundais, and that's why we went with Nissan and Toyota in our last car replacement cycle in the early 2000s (Japanese reliability built in the UK, but still a bit hit and miss). Don't know much about the Coupe though.

I think the i30 is built in Czech Republic instead of Korea, specifically for the European market, and reliability seems OK based on web reviews.

I must admit that I don't know anyone who actually has one of them.

However it would be great to hear what you guys think about them though.

I find in the back of the Corolla that you have your knees either side of the front seat, which is fine in the showroom but doesn't work in real life. the seating position is lower, the floor is higher and the roof is lower, there's no way it's bigger.

I think you should go with the i30, I know it's customary to take peoples choices to pieces and suggest an Octavia, but in this case I reckon you're right first time.

the i30 has won a long term driver satisfaction award by Auto Express (The Sun of the motoring world, but a survey is a survey)

Thanks colm_mcm,

You are right about the Corolla. I could never get comfortable in our Corolla, the seat is too low for my long legs and there is not enough support. In any case we are not keen on the saloon body style.

The i30 however has an estate (i30cw) for an extra 500 EUR. This would be great for bikes / flickers / the occasional washing machine / etc.

However I have never seen the i30cw in the metal. The dealers don't have it, and I haven't seen one on the road. But if it something like the Ceed SW, then it should be OK.

I have booked to test drive the i30 this weekend, let's see whether it is almost as good as the Focus!

• Advertisement

The i30 CW is actually a nicer looking car than the hatch. def worth 500 quid more.

It's a nippy car, I wouldn't say its as sharp as the Focus, I'd actually prefer it to the Golf driving wise, but the Golf has a better interior.

The only gripe I have about the i30:
    The 2 displays on the radio and centre console are slightly different brightnss. it annoyed me.

the integrated ipod works really well, and you also get a USB slot for memory sticks, there's also a cooled glovebox. small details some conpetitors don't have. Also small details like the cubby boxes being lined in proper material, not just rubber, and the flip keys.

I think they've dropped the lovely 115hp 1.6 diesel, they're all 90hp now. make sure the one you get on loan is the 90hp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

enol wrote: »
    I'd sooner keep a 10 year old Corolla than have a new Hyundai, maybe the i30 is a good car, I have to admit ignorance and say I don't know much about that particular model, but I bought a Coupe a few years back, it was 3 yrs old, the 3yr warranty that it would have had from new was just up and the trouble I had with that car would fill a book. The last straw was one of the indicators going on the blink (;)) and the whole loom had to be replaced, so basically a faulty indicator cost over e1000 to fix :eek:
    Everything that went wrong with that car cost a fortune to fix no matter what it was or who done it.
    I've known 3 people who had the Hyundai Tradjet, every one of them broken hearted over the trouble it gave them. Apparently they are affectionately known in the trade as the Hyundai Trajedy :D
    Like I said, I don't know much about the i30 but man, I would be seriously wary of anything with a Hyundai badge, it was to date, the biggest ball of sh!te of a car I ever owned.

The 'i' range of cars are a totally different kettle of fish to the previous gen hyundais, build quality, and quality in general is very good.

if you offer up a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, your clearly showing you have good confidence in your offering. even if it is ****, you can still fix it for free for the first 5 years.

i think comparing the i30 to a coupe, accent or trajet is a bit unfair because the only thing it has in common with those cars is the badge it wears, theres very few if any shared components to suggest that reliability would be similar.

it was voted the most reliable car in the uk last year http://motortorque.askaprice.com/news/auto-1004/driver-power-2010-hyundai-i30-is-uk39s-most-reliable-car.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

other half has one. 1.6d 90hp with sports kit on it (just the bits of plastic though)
    Nice car overall, the only thing I hate about it is that the steering wheel doesn't feel remotely attached to the wheels and is totally dead feeling. (its also a little bit thin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

We bought the i30 cw estate in August of 08. Our car has run perfectly for us in those 2 and a half years with no issues at all to report. We managed to secure a 5 year warrenty with the car and also the dealership threw in 5 year AA cover to boot. The car is a joy to drive and we have covered almost 45,000 klms in the time we have had it including a trip to Spain last summer. Very economical for a biggish car also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

enol wrote: »

Man they seen you coming. 1000 euro for an indicator fault, and you paid.:pac:

OSI wrote: »
    I don't who you were getting the Coupe repaired with that was costing you so much as the car is a very basic and easy to maintain one.

The fact you paid a grand to fix an indicator problem shows a lack of research on your part to be quite honest. If you had done your research you would have none that all that needed to be done was replace one relay on the cars BCD, a €4 part and at most 30 mins labour.

there was a fault with the body control module in certain coupes which would cause them to fail. the first indication (see what i done there :rolleyes:) that there was a problem with it was generally an indicator would become stuck on.

these would cost circa 800 euro ish to replace i would asume this is what was being referred to.

It is also what I was referring to, the whole Body Control Device (BCD) did not need to be replaced, it was one relay, a €4 part. If the person had done research, they would have find this out...

interesting. :pac:

why would dealers replace the whole module then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

colm_mcm wrote: »
    While the KIA warranty is longer, the Hyundai is unlimited mileage and not as strict as the Kia one which needs servicing in main dealer and inspections etc
    +1, seems like an excellent warranty. Puts the likes of Skoda, BMW, Ford, and VW to shame with their 2 year warranties.

128934893176112444.jpg

i can remember seeing one or two being looked after, but was it the case that there was soldering work and such involved in repairing the old module.

i know there will always be too schools of though on the matter.

-more mark up on the complete module would be one.
    -repairing an un-serviceable item with questionable reliability would be the other.

i suppose its down to research and shopping around and risk taking whether you want to get done or not.

anyway... i like the i30's, handsome looking devils :cool:

Advertisement