Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cv help!!

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

hey was just wondering if anyone could help me out im doing up a cv but im 20 with only a junior cert due to family problems i had to drop out.also i have no no experience really just babysitting and working in the local school a few years back in the summers doing painting and the odd bit of stuff.the thing is i really do look for work but my past cvs have not even been acknowledged,its so frustrating just need a bit of help to try get a job please help im going crazy with constant boredom:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

sorry to hear that :( thing is there aren't that many jobs going. if your really that bored and cant find a job why not apply to a college for next year? sumthing to do uno? other than that you'll just have to keep ur eye out for jobs..alot of places like tesco or marks and spencers look for ppl at the end of january start of february? keep checking the websites and sign up for notifications so that when jobs become available they'll email you?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

You really need to get some qualifications and/or experience.

Is there any chance of you going back to do your leaving cert or some Fas course?

Is there any (remote|) chance you can work with an experienced painter?

Apply to local shops - but don't just send in a CV, many shops have their own application forms, showing up in person, looking well, being personable & friendly, happy, smiling, polite etc. You may have to call into them several times so they remember you if something comes up. But be polite & friendly no matter what they say.

Do some charity work if you have nothing else, you'd be amazed at the skills you can pick up and employers do appriciate the fact that people make an effort to be involved.

Get someone to look at you CV to give it some honest assessment (I'm not an expert but I have interviewed so you can PM me if you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

^^ This...

I've interviewed in the past and, sorry to say this, nothing looks as bad as an empty CV. Had to stop one employer of mine who was telling her son (in Transition Year) that he couldn't have a job til he was in college. Pointed out to her what she looked for on CVs...

Like Little A says, you need to flesh it out a bit. Any chance you can do anything suggested above?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If you did a part-time fetac course might help for the short term might keep you occupide and see what you could do from that.

Advertisement