Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nam - Soldier of the Liberation

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Below something I have a while - its a VietCong award "Soldier of the Liberation".

The Russian influence is obvious, this sample is showing its age and the pin on the rear has been very crudely repaired.

DSC01380.jpg

DSC01382.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Thanks for posting that.Vietnam seems to be often overlooked and more so overshawdowed by previous wars when it comes to militaria collecting,I remember visiting a military museum in Honolulu a few years back and this place had a considerable amount of Vietnam related displays which were fantasic.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Vietnam is fixed in the public consciousness because of Hollywood classics such as Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket etc. And the generation that grew up in the Cold War will remember the news reports and mass student protests well. Even today it is used as a benchmark for futility eg "Afghanistan will be another Vietnam".

But forgotten wars, for me that would have to be Korea. That was such a huge conflict with multiple nations participating and technically the two states are still at war despite an uneasy ceasefire. I have not seen so much as a good documentary never mind a film on this conflict.

I really hope Spielberg / Hanks do a project over Korea next.

Advertisement