Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps able to obtain private info normal?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Should I be worried about this,

When in Market, was searching for Handcent Sms and just before the install procedure a screen warns that:

this application has access to the following:
    Your messages
    Your personal information
    Network communication (understandable)
    storage (modify/delete SD card contents)
    Services that cost you money ( directly call phone nrs, send SMS messages)
    Phone calls
    system tools (eg prevent phone from sleeping, read system log files)

If this is true, why would I want to let it do that? Isn't that invasion of privacy?:confused:

Im not downloading something thats sounding dodgy!

Please advise, thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

It depends on what the app is. Handcent needs to access your personal infromation (contacts) so that when you type names into the TO: box it can find their number. It has allows you to call someone who has just texted you from the popup notification, and it shows all your text messages. There are other apps which do ask for permissions I cannot really justify, particularly contact data - I try to avoid these. Check out the ratings before downloading anything, it's not worth being the guinea pig.

I use handcent and it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The handcent permissions make perfect sense.

Other apps may look for strange permissions,but even someone with a tiny bit of common sense can avoid the dodgy apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

draffodx wrote: »
    The handcent permissions make perfect sense.

Other apps may look for strange permissions,but even someone with a tiny bit of common sense can avoid the dodgy apps.

though common sense isnt really common these days is it? :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

though common sense isnt really common these days is it? :D:D:D:D

Unfortunately not, stupidity seems to be much more common :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanks for clarifying this. Much appreciated. going to download it and see how it works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement