Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Cork

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Folks:

A few of us in Cork have a very informal cycling group, called the Cranks. We usually get together for longish spins during the spring and summer but this year we are hopefully going to get out most Sunday mornings for a 3 hour spin.

Most of us do the Ring of Kerry Cycle, Sean Kelly 160, Stephen Roche Tour de Cure etc but we are all in our late 40's so the pace is sociable to sporty; however nobody will be left behind on a spin.

There are few enough rules:
    • Be on time
    • stay with the group from beginning to end of the spin i.e. don't go too far ahead
    • Bring a spare tube

If anyone would like to fall in, we'll be heading to Crosshaven on Sunday morning.

The facebook page is here:

or just add a comment here if you have any questions.

We had a fairly disastrous icy cycle last sunday, pics are on the Facebook page, but don't let that put you off:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Definitely interested crankycod, i'm in the right age bracket lol and planning to do the ring of kerry and sean kelly tour this year for the first time this year myself and 1 or 2 more sportive's, see ya soon hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

Good stuff, the more the merrier. At the moment there are about 8 of us active, but on any given spin we might get 3 to 5 out, so it would be great to get a few more on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cantalach

First the Lee Roadies (think as Gaeilge to 'get it') and now the Cranks...the competition for the category 'Informal Group with a Clever Name' is hotting up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'd be very interested CrankyCod although it'd probably be a while before I'd be joining yous if still welcome. I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes too cold and/or wet weather and I'm pursuing a couple of other interests at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

id be interested cranky cod,whereabouts are ye leaving from and what time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Might be getting a roadie soon. Been tempted to broaden from MTB. Is Facebook the contact route as it sounds right up my street?

id be interested cranky cod,whereabouts are ye leaving from and what time?

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm working on a revamp of the website at the moment so for the time being Facebook is the main means of contact. However some people don't fancy using facebook so we will definitely move to an open site as soon as possible.

For Sunday morning we have a good few out of action but I think we'll have the makings of a posse so can we meet outside Barrys in Douglas at 9:30?

Link to Google maps

Link to route map on MapMyRide

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Me as well, them links dont load for me though :(

Folks: we had a nice spin to Passage, Crosshaven and back this morning.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26030664

Next week we will meet at 9:30 at the petrol station on the Carrigrohane Straight and head for a spin to Dripsey, Coachford and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

CrankyCod wrote: »

Next week we will meet at 9:30 at the petrol station on the Carrigrohane Straight and head for a spin to Dripsey, Coachford and back.

Hi there.just came across your thread.would be interested in linking up for a few spins .new in cork so mainly cycling in my own so could do with definitely changing that.I live on the north side.is the carrigrohane straight out by ballincollig?

Folks:
    The meetign spot is the Topaz petrol station.

If you leave Cork on the old Ballincollig road, pass the Kingsley Hotel on your right, it's the petrol station on the left.

This link should open the MapMYRide route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27068490

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

CrankyCod wrote: »

you are freaking me out Mr Cranky Cod, that link is the Ras route I cycled today not the cross haven route. You are also the guy who first posted about that route to which I am about to reply !:confused:

seve65 wrote: »
    you are freaking me out Mr Cranky Cod, that link is the Ras route I cycled today not the cross haven route. You are also the guy who first posted about that route to which I am about to reply !:confused:

Wow, that's weird...:)

This is the correct link for the Crosshaven loop.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27053268

Advertisement