Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blurry Pics and vids

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have to say that I am absolutely delighted with my Desire HD , absolutely love it. The only thing driving me round the bend is that any pics with the slightest of movement turn out blurry, also videos in HD are a disaster and are always turing out blurry for even th slightest of movements.

Anyone have any quick fixes, software you can download or any tips?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Unfortunately HTC is well known for their inability to put a decent camera in their smartphones. It drives me nuts too, it's such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Motion blurred or hazy? Haze can be caused by a dirty or scratched lens cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭kgt272

JustinOval wrote: »
    Motion blurred or hazy? Haze can be caused by a dirty or scratched lens cover.

Defo Blurred! Its a real shame as I love the phone! I had a nokia n95 before that and while the screen and operating system was just incomparable I have to say the camera and video were streets ahead and that was a 5Mp , as it took snaps of all descriptions , motion shots, close up shots etc etc . The camera in the Desire HD is very very poor, you have to have perfect lighting and a real steady hand and no movement from your subjects - almost impossible task!

I don't know whether future software updates can address this or is this just the compromise we have to bear for having such a beautifully crafted phone in all other respects!

Ive googled it a bit and seems a fix can be to take out the plastic covering when you open the battery compartment but I just hate going down that road as invariably ill end up breaking it or something, plus i just hate messing about with something that is obviously put there for a reason and I presume its there to protect the lens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Change the iso settings from auto to 100.

Most people see a huge improvement by doing that.

heres a photo i took with my desire
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2872cr7.jpg

edit///
    that came up a bit big!

heres a link to the exif data
    http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http://i51.tinypic.com/2872cr7.jpg

Can you post a sample pic? I had an issue with my Desire (standard) where the auto focus failed, I had to return it for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sure, i edited the post, heres the sample link

subway wrote: »
    Change the iso settings from auto to 100.

Most people see a huge improvement by doing that.

heres a photo i took with my desire

edit///
    that came up a bit big!

heres a link to the exif data
    http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http://i51.tinypic.com/2872cr7.jpg

Cheers for that , ill give that a go and see how i get on! However same problem still there for video where you cannot alter such a setting! Thanks again!:)

subway wrote: »
    sure, i edited the post, heres the sample link

Not you, yours is fine.

Not you, yours is fine.

Not a great example but you can see where it loses quality where the contrast changes etc

That is taken using the highest setting (8MP) and iso settings to 100

That's pretty shocking quality. How is it natural light? Is quality set to 'high'? It does look like something is wrong...

• Advertisement

That's pretty shocking quality. How is it natural light? Is quality set to 'high'? It does look like something is wrong...

Tried everything, quality was set to highest quality and natural light was pretty good at time! tried lesser qualitys but same results! I will just have to grin and bear it I guess! I used to take a lot of snaps of my two kids mucking about the house with my old nokia as they are at that age where you get the camera out and take a snap or a video of a funny moment for keepsake etc but any slight movement which you do get with 1 and 3 year olds makes it a nightmare with the Desire HD, its such a pity! last night i looked at another desire HD a colleague of mine has to satisfy my curiosity and to be honest the blurriness issue was there as well however only took one or two snaps so didn't get a chance to do a full forensic examination on it!

For the record I did a few close up snaps of still objects and they turned out amazing, detail was top class just like your own pic (edit: just like subways pic) but for pics or vids that have slight movement the blurring issues remain, a real let down for what would have been in my opinion best phone on the market, however this problem aside really love the phone.

Pics shouldn't be that poor, I'd give HTC a call.

Pics shouldn't be that poor, I'd give HTC a call.

Gave them a call! said to try a hard reset but im sure thats only standard practice and am pretty sure that willnot work! I also have a lot of apps that I paid for installed so am reluctant to go down that root and wipe out everything! Failing that they will repair it if that does not work - a bit of a dilema! will look at the repair option but that prob means looking at having no phone for a week or so:(

kgt272 wrote: »
    Gave them a call! said to try a hard reset but im sure thats only standard practice and am pretty sure that willnot work! I also have a lot of apps that I paid for installed so am reluctant to go down that root and wipe out everything! Failing that they will repair it if that does not work - a bit of a dilema! will look at the repair option but that prob means looking at having no phone for a week or so:(

Two weeks.

Your paid apps will be available again when you log in, you don't need to worry about them, and sometimes it's good to have a clear out as you won't re-install the apps you didn't really use.

Have you tried a different camera app, just to see if there's any change? Vignette is good, and will save standard images as well as the ones with effects.

..oh, and yeah - 'factory reset' is the standard 'have you tried switching it off and back on again' I.T. response. :D

Two weeks.

Your paid apps will be available again when you log in, you don't need to worry about them, and sometimes it's good to have a clear out as you won't re-install the apps you didn't really use.

Have you tried a different camera app, just to see if there's any change? Vignette is good, and will save standard images as well as the ones with effects.

Will try Vignette later on! thanks again for your input ! much appreciated!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Just out of curosity, have you tried taking a pic with the cover off? I'm sure I heard some thing similar, someone was complaining about picture quality - then they took the cover off and the quality improved dramatically.

Just out of curosity, have you tried taking a pic with the cover off? I'm sure I heard some thing similar, someone was complaining about picture quality - then they took the cover off and the quality improved dramatically.

Dont fancy messing with covers etc , defeats the purpose, holding a camera exposed on the back, even if that worked I wouldn't go down that route! I also heard that mentioned in a few threads as well! Something about taking the lens cover off but then youre into messing with the device and opening it up etc , not something id be confident in doing!
    :)
    Thanks anyway! It possibly could improve it but not for me!

Yeah, on the old Desire the lens cover is prone to scuffing and can be removed or polished, but that would show in your images as a haze or blur but this looks more like a software compression issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The reason I mentioned it - is the case might need a cleaning, so the camera itself may be alright after the cleaning.

Looks fairly tricky to take the case off too though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yep, when I want to take pics I take cover off. Difference is amazing.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yep, when I want to take pics I take cover off. Difference is amazing.

Polish the lens cover.

Advertisement