Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer

Options
  • 11-01-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all I have a computer issue and ive no idea about computers

whats happened is I started up my computer today and it started making a real loud buzzing or humming sound as ive no idea about computers I would only guess it sounds like the fan, the sounds reminds of the the xbox which makes a loud buzzing noise as well

Also when the computer is on and I try to click on the start button to bring up the start menu it takes about 10-15 seconds to come up id only guess something is eating up the memory

I ran the windows task manager to check if anything was running but according to it there isnt anything running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Sounds like something to do with your CPU, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Gazza376

Is there anything on the PC that I can check myself to see whats wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

When you opened task manager did you have the option for "show processes from all users ticked"

First question is how confident you would be opening the tower, If you are not anyway competent with a bit of electrical DIY you may be better asking someone that is.

Im not trying to scare you just a warning before advising you to go too far.

Start by unplugging the pc and taking the side off and inspecting for build up of dirt / dust.

The motherboard and most of the components are static sensitive so keep your hands off the components.

You can safely run the pc while the side is off as long as you keep your hands out.

If you start it you should see the fans starting up, do they keep spinning constantly.

If they do its usually overheating, but could be a fault with a temperature sensor or something like that.

If the CPU is maxed out try to find out what is using all of the resources bu ordering the list by CPU column.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Does it sound like a loud fan?

Or is it a clicking noise or does it sound like an electrical short?

I reckon probably the psu might need replacing

Thanks for the replies guys. just to answer a couple of the points:

I opened the task manager and the "show processes from all users" box was ticked. When I checked the processes there were a lot but none of them were using any of the memory. The "system idle" was showing around 97% or thereabouts.

The sound is like a "whirring" noise - no rattles or clicks but its definitely running full blast all the time. Its a bit like that wee second of noise that you get when you boot up the PC or sometimes when the anti virus scanner kicks in except much louder and stronger.

When I click on the START tab or go to open a word doc etc it takes a bit of time for it to open which suggests that something is hogging the memory or slowing the processes down.

I;ll get a bit of help later and open the casing and have a look inside.

Thanks again for the replies

• Advertisement

processor might be overheating, how old is it?

i would gues maybe some new thermal paste in between the heatsinc and processor might fix that.

also open it up and hoover all the dust out of it

Thanks again for all the replies. I got it opened earlier on and the problem was the fan. The grill/fan guard was completely clogged up with dirt/dust just like in the pic below (googled that btw) but much worse.

The fan was located towards the front and just below the DVD drives and while the side casing came off the PC it was awkward to get at the front of the fan itself. I had to poke at it at an angle from the side but I managed to get the heavy stuff scraped off and used a bit of the compressed air in a tin to get the remaining pieces. It was really really bad.

Anyhow, all sorted now and I cant believe how quiet the PC is :)

fan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

That looks pretty dusty alright. If you smoke it clogs up a lot quicker too.

That would do it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyone know where I could download free youtube download or converter.
    I downloaded one from cnet but its giving problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Don't bump old threads. Make a new one if you have a question :) .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement