Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing Competitions

Options
  • 11-01-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I dont know about everyone else, but I find writing competitions are a good way to motivate me to write and get ideas flowing. But I can't see a thread here for discussion on non boards.ie competitions. So if anyone knows of any competitions, entry fees or no fees, maybe they could post them here... because I never know where to find information for competitions and im sure im not the only one.

Post writing competitions you come across. Irish residents should be eligible for competitions you post. Post criteria, if possible, and closing dates, entry fees (if applicable), etc.

Thanks. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award is coming up soon. No entry free, open to any unpublished or self-published novel. You need a completed novel to enter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

EileenG wrote: »
    The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award is coming up soon. No entry free, open to any unpublished or self-published novel. You need a completed novel to enter.

Is it nearly that time again? I was kind of hoping to have a submittable manuscript for this year. Ah well, maybe 2012 :)

You've got three weeks. And a deadline is a great incentive to get writing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hmm, yeah, might as well, time for one quick rewrite if I can get some space. I can at least rename 'Prologue' to 'Chapter One' :D
    Have you a quick link to the registration page for the competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waterford City Council Library Services

The closing date for the Sean Dunne Young Writers Awards is next Thursday January 20th 2011! Check out our past winners through the site below and GET SCRIBBLING!

Remember, we have three awards catagories: for writers 30 and under, for writers 21 and under and for writers aged 12 to 16.

http://www.seandunne.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Is it nearly that time again? I was kind of hoping to have a submittable manuscript for this year. Ah well, maybe 2012 :)
    This is what I say every year. =P Athough I think I've found a story I'll actually stick with finally so maybe in a few years time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Any more of these out there? Short stories for cash seems as good an employment opportunity as any at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Kerrywriterno1

That's if the Mayan 2012 Doomsday prophecy doesn't happen before December of next year. lol. Seriously though, I do wish you and everyone here who's thinking of entering it, the best of luck. Don't forget to have your manuscript proofread before entering. A lot of writers make that mistake of not having it looked over by an editor/proofreader. If you want to contact me via a pm (private message), I can give you the name of a few.

Kerrywriter

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

Reviving this thread to see what competitions are going on in the next few months. Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 writingcomp

The 4th annual Concern Worldwide Writing Competition is now open for entries...

Your Task:
    Imagine you are a journalist stationed in a developing world country, writing for an internationally renowned newspaper. Your editor has asked you to write a 1000 word article on one of the following topics;
    1) Living on less than $2 a day in the developing world
    2) Imagining the future of a child born today in the developing world
    3) Important lessons we can learn from the developing world
    Categories:
    Junior: Age 12-15 years
    Senior: Age 16-18 years
    College: Full or part time student
    Adult: Age 19+ and not in college
    Closing date 27th March!
    For a complete set of rules and how to enter, go to www.concern.net/writingcompetition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 writingcomp

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Bump - be good to hear of any up and coming comps for teen writers (not me unfortunately) :)

Our 15yr old daughter seems to have a penchant for writing as and when the mood takes her, sometimes can go for days on end then seems to completely lose interest for weeks or even months at a time. I'm certainly not qualified in the critique stakes but her stuff usually manages to stir my imagination (generally short stories and always fiction to date).

Any ideas on how we could best help/encourage her to develop this potential talent? It really bugs me to think it could all so easily go to waste. As a parent with no wish to be 'heavy' over this, if I could do just one small thing to help her towards the next step what might that be? :)

Thanks for any comments in anticipation.. Paddy

There's a website called www.wattpad.com which describes itself as "Youtube for books", and a lot of teens post stuff to it and chat about what they post. Would she be interested in that? A competition might not be ideal yet, if she doesn't do well, it could put her off writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Many thanks Eileen, that looks really appropriate as a place to trial stuff :)

I see your point also re the potential for dissappointment if starting off with competitions. Will suggest it anyway and see where it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

A friend of mine entered the Francis McManus short story competition and just heard back that he didn't make the shortlist. But they did actually give him some feedback on why he wasn't successful and encouraged him to try again next year.

Deadline is late October, so bit of time to get something ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Great thread! Has anyone sent something to the Rte guide Penguin short story competition this year?
    Actually, Pog it, are you sure the deadline for the F. McManus competition is October? I did a search for it and it seems the winner of 2011 has already been chosen...

Advertisement