Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick queston- xenon bulbs

Options
  • 11-01-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Just bought a set of xenon bulbs for my car that had normal holagen bulbs. (Not HID kit ) Does anyone know will they pass the nct or does it make any difference?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Check the beam cutoff against a wall when you're parked 15-20 yards away. If it doesn't look like this (note the sharp beam cutoff, at 15-20 yards you should have a fine cutoff, not a gradual fade), it won't pass, simple as (unless you meet a dead sound tester I guess).

Chances are it won't look like this, and you'll have some sort of beam above the cutoff (if you still have a cutoff that is, some of the conversions I've seen leave just a rough blob of light in the middle). Since the filament/arc has been moved slightly, the beam won't match the reflector, and will be scattered. If however, your headlights use the old patterned lens type reflectors, you could be fine, since these are less dependant on where the light source is.

Assuming they aren't blinding, pop back in halogens for the NCT to be sure, then put the xenons back in. Or to do it right, retrofit some OEM projectors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

im guessing its some of them xenon filled bulbs with the filiment inside,, blur tinted ones which give off a blue tint??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

They're the best option for people with stock reflectors really. I had them for ages in the Mini until a stone chip shattered a lens. They give the reflector a blueish tint, and the light is far whiter than standard bulbs, and they don't muck up the beam pattern either :) I passed an NCT after that with just one of them left, and a sealed beam on the other side I think, so they're grand for the test :pac:

http://mini.dougie-lampkin.500servers.net/Modifications/stage3.html

Probably should've picked up on that, OP does say not HID kit...

Advertisement