Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land available for rescue donkeys

Options
  • 11-01-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

My dad has about 4 acres in Dundalk which he isn't using (with access to water) and he came up with the idea of allowing a rescue shelter use the land for donkeys. None of us has any equine experience so its really the land he would be offering but dad said he would keep an eye on them and look after them as much as possible "with a little tuition".

I had a quick scan on the net for any donkey sanctuaries in the locality (only in Cork). Now I can't believe that there are no neglected/abused donkey's in Louth so who looks after them? Does anybody know who I should contact about this.

Any and all replies appreciated.

Cheers Griff

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Try contacting the ISPCA.

http://www.ispca.ie/contact-ispca.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

The Donkey Sanctuary in Cork (Liscarroll to be exact) will take donkeys from all parts of the country so I think a call to them might be worthwhile. I imagine they would help in the tuition you mention although I hope they would not see the offer as being in any way a threat to their monopoly. I hardly think they would but best to find out.

Best wishes with the venture as it is a very worthwhile gesture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Also:

http://www.collonanimalsanctuary.com/Newlook_Sanctuary/Contact_Us.html

http://www.dar.ie/

As far as I know there are only 2 rescues in the country specific to donkeys, the one in Cork and one in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Are you specifically looking for donkeys or would you mind horses? Just thinking there's so many horses being dumped that 4 acres might be very beneficial to the DSPCA or ISPCA for the horses they take in. DAR might take in horses too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you do hay/silage/haylage perhaps if the land is suitable you could make fodder for the donkeys and horses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

Thanks very much for all the replies guys. I contacted the ISPCA who put me in contact with the people in Cork. They are checking it out at the moment and are going to get back to me.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Griff

Advertisement