Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identify a bird please

Options
  • 11-01-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi

First time poster here. I was sitting browsing the internet when I heard a very distinctive noise outside in my suburban back garden. There was a very impressive bird sitting on my back wall. She was copper coloured with a black head, about the size of a domestic hen. There is a river below my back garden. It looked a bit like an enormous duck.

Unfortunately I couldn't locate my digital camera to get a snap of this lovely creature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Pheasant?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Yes it was a pheasant, just saw a picture of one. Unusual to see one so near the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

They will often travel along riverbanks. I used to live in Glasnevin and would often see and hear them along the Tolka. Saw one from the DART near Sutton recently. You could try putting out some grain for it if it appears again.

Advertisement