Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names in Irish to describe a person (characteristics etc.)

Options
  • 11-01-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

The huge selection of words for describing people and their character in Irish is one of the aspects in which the language is very rich. I've found that using an electronic dictionary like WinGléacht has made it much easier to find the appropriate ones (Type in 'person' and see the huge number of examples that will come up). I think it'd be worth a thread for people to post the ones they know. Feel free to check a reference and enlighten the rest of us.

Here's the first one:

Drochairteagal - bad article, a bad and dangerous person.*

*Foclóir Uí Dhónaill (WinGléacht)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Maróg - pot-bellied person (actually is the word for pudding aswell, i.e. maróg Nollag)

Blióg - camp man, pansy

Alpaire - person who eats too much

Súdóg - a woman with big chats

Leibide - a messy/careless person (hear this on RnaR a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Crosáidí wrote: »

Leibide - a messy/careless person (hear this on RnaR a bit)

From my experience, that seems to be the word most used to called someone an idiot/gobshíte etc. especially in Connemara.

Here's a few relating to women:

Míneog -a gentle woman

Stuaire - a handsome woman

Áilleagán mná - a useless pretty woman (a bimbo, I suppose)

Banchealgaire - Seductive woman, a siren

Loirgneach - Long-legged woman

Síodóg - Suave/soft-spoken woman

Advertisement