Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire is knackered.... what next? Cheapo Droid phone?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Like the arse I am I let my 8 month old daugher play with my phone. She's at the age where keys, phones and remote controls are her favourite toys...

So she picks up my 2 month old Desire and pukes into the Micro-USB power port. Queue the phone going mental, vibrate switching on and off, car mode on and off. Switched off the phone and tried to dry it over a few of weeks and when it finally switch back on (it didn't for about 2 weeks), the "Menu" button doesn't work. Nor does a computer recognise the phone when plugged in with the USB cable. Charges ok though.

So what next? I presume if I send it back to HTC it will be beyond economic repair (liquid damage more than likely).

Buy a new Android phone? I guess my only option although I swore I wouldn't when I lost the "Market" app after the 2.2 over the air update and it forced a factory reset.

What's good and cheap these days? I have a non-contract SIM from O2 but I'd rather not get into a contract with them or anyone else if possibe. Last time I just bought the Desire on 02 PAYG and put in my own SIM (as I presumed it would be locked to 02).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

A zte blade/orange san francisco would be your best bet imo, thats if you can get your hands on one, otherwsie look at the samsung galaxy europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

SachaJ wrote: »
    So what next? I presume if I send it back to HTC it will be beyond economic repair (liquid damage more than likely).
    Presume you've checked it's not covered on your house insurance? Policy I have covers a lot of my contents for accidental damage within the home -- got a new laptop off them recently when I spilled coffee on my old one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Interesting idea. Would my house insurance premium go up though?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Don't think the premium should increase, but be aware that you'll have to pay the excess, usually around €250.

But it's better than nothing and if you wee planning on spending a few hundred anyway then you'd be able to buya brand new sim free phone.

(We claimed for a TV after our 2yr old smashed our nice 42" plasma)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

as said above the SF from orange is probably your best bet for budget andorid. It will be a step back and it will be slower but it by far the best budget android out there by a good bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Orange San Francisco by a long shot, with correct rom installed it wont be far off the Desire, ive the desire HD but use the San Francisco most of the time, if I didnt have the HD the other one would be by far and a long shot the best fone I ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bogman,

Can I ask why you use the SF at all if you have the Desire HD?

I have the Samsung Galaxy and my wife has the HD and I'd be interested to know why you don't just use the HD all the time.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

I ask myself the same question BenEadir, like tinkering, have played around with a few roms, happiest with flb-froyo-blade-r5a even though r6a is out but slower for me, find the Blade interesting and its not slow either, other reason is id worry far less at work if I lost it, do a lot of biking and want something for hacking around

Advertisement